Barley Wine - FG Too Low??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soxside

Reaction score
This was the first time I've made a Barley Wine and the first time using White Labs WLP099 Super Gravity yeast strain. My starting gravity when I brewed this was 1.084 and after 10 days of fermentation the FG was measured at 1.014. I transferred the beer to a secondary and aged for 5 months. Today I bottled and took another gravity reading which showed it was 1.004. Is this possible?? Testing my equipment showed the hydrometer to still be accurate when sampling water. The beer has an apple like taste and is smooth but very potent with the alcohol but without that hot-alcohol taste. Is this batch still good and how long should it age in the bottle?

Ingredients used:

14lbs Pale Malt (Maris Otter)
1lb Oats, Flaked
1lb Cane Sugar
4oz Briess Caramel 60L
4oz Malto-Dextrin
4oz Briess Caramel 120L

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
1.084 measured

Final Gravity
1.004 measured

Yeast
White Labs Super High Gravity Ale (WLP099)

Must be off ...... Send it to me for disposal!

95% attenuation is high, but not unheard of. I assume you mashed low to get that type of attenuation. The spec on the yeast says 80%+ attenuation.

You need to decide if it is good - taste it.

It will keep, but you could start drinking them in a couple of weeks if you want to.

Back