Equipment need for brewing Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBS2005

Reaction score
That should be needed above.

Hi folks, Newb here with my first post.

I want to brew Stouts and Porters. This will be my first brew adventure, though I did try a wine kit once (it did not go well). I was wondering what I needed to get started.

Any suggestions on equipment and kits would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know about Alabama home brew laws? We just moved here. Our county is dry, but the city we live in is wet. I'm just curious because I was on the COSTCO site and they said that can't ship beer kits to AL.

Thanks!

you will need at least one carboy (would recommend a better bottle), airlock, and bung. You will also need some sanitizer like starsan. Also will need a large pot to brew in. You should also get a hydrometer although its not "needed"

Also look around at kits available....im assuming you will do an extract kit. www.austinhomebrew.com has a good selection of all the supplies you will need and brew kits and good prices too.

You can always get the "starter kit" and be pretty much set for an investment of a little over $100 or so.

Welcome to the forum! Homebrewing is federally legal, but not specifically legal in Alabama.

From AHA's website on Alabama:
Updated: 9/1995

Statute
Alabama state statue § 28-1-1 prohibits the possession of illegally manufactured alcoholic beverages.

Discussion
The state of Alabama has both Wet and Dry counties and municipalities. The state maintains a tight control on all alcoholic beverage sale, manufacture, possession, etc. No statutory exception to § 28-1-1 exists for the home production of beer. Furthermore, no statutory exception to § 28-1-1 exists for the home production of wine and/or cider.

Alabama case law illustrates a historical trend in which the court has held homebrew to be a prohibited liquor. Up until the 1950s certain individuals have been convicted for the unlawful possession of prohibited liquor. (see enclosed cases for examples) Alabama has recently passed the ALABAMA BREWPUB ACT which authorizes limited operation of brewpubs in the state.

I know that we have other homebrewers from Alabama, and I believe that the AHA (American Homebrewer's Association) is working to get homebrewing legalized in AL. They sucessfully lobbied in Utah, and it's now legal in Utah.

Back