Bourbon Barrel Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
Anyone make a Bourbon Barrel Stout with just a standard dry irish stout. I was going to make the Northern Brewer's Bourbon Barrel Porter, but after having a Anchor Steam Porter this weekend it reminded me how much I like stouts over porters.

I'm wanting to do a regular stout as opposed to the porter or imperial stout. The recipe for NB's Bourbon Barrel Porter calls for 16oz of Makers Mark...should I lower the amount in a standard Irish Stout??? Here is the directions on the addition of oak chips soaked in bourbon:

Soak 2 oz of US Medium Plus Oak
Cubes in 16 oz of bourbon for 24 – 48 hours. Then add the
oak cubes and bourbon to the secondary fermenter and
wait an additional 1 – 2 weeks before bottling

Cheers :mug:

If you really want any Oak flavor in 1-2 weeks, I believe standard wisdom is to use the chips, not the cubes... I've been told it can take several months to pull oak notes out of the cubes...

I've never done it tho, so who knows... I think I'd probably go at least half that amount of MM tho. There's not much in a dry stout flavor-wise to stand up to the bourbon... there's a reason most bourbon/oak stouts are imperial in size, there are much more complex flavors to stand up to the oak and whiskey...

I have heard that about the cubes vs chips on the Jamil Show. I was planning on using chips based on his recommendations....but thank you. I'm thinking as you suggested to drop the bourbon to half. I may also use Templeton Rye Whiskey instead. "Rye Whiskey Irish Stout" sounds interesting.

Cheers

Back