Hop free wort boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
I am planning to make an experimental beer where the all grain wort is boiled on its own for 10 minutes, cooled and added to my carboy. I will then boil 5 gallons of water adding hops at 60 minutes, 15 minutes and 5 minutes before straining, cooling and adding to the carboy. How will this affect hop efficiency, ie should I use more or less than my normal addition to wort? thanks.

The lower density of the water will allow for more hop utilization that if you were to boil the hops in the wort. I think you would have to calculate on using less hops.

I would boil the wort for a min of 15 to 20 minutes to ensure sterilization.

The real question is why do this unless you don't have enough hops and you want to get the most out of them??

I am trying to increase brew size, I can only boil 5 gallons at once, so this approach would only need 75 minutes total boil time.

If this is AG wort you will need to boil it 60-90 mins to drive off DMS. If you only boil the the wort for 10 min then the beer will taste nasty.

Hop utilization will be higher then in the plain water.

Just get a bigger pot.

If this is AG wort you will need to boil it 60-90 mins to drive off DMS. If you only boil the the wort for 10 min then the beer will taste nasty.

Hop utilization will be higher then in the plain water.

Just get a bigger pot.

This, unless you like creamed corn beer. I just did a Berliner Weisse that I only boiled for 15 minutes and it reeks of creamed corn. I was really careful about minimizing oxygen exposure and cooling to no avail. I'm probably going to have to toss the batch. I've no idea how people can pull off the no-boil method without getting a stinky vegetable mess - next time I do it I'm just going to boil for 60 since I'm not going traditional anyway.

edit: And I'm not even sure if the hops will have the same effect if boiled in water. Not only do they help against infection (which can only happen in the wort, not the water), but they provide compounds that help to coagulate break and drop it out of your brew, and the pH of the liquid they're boiled in plays a role in how they taste and smell. They're practically begging to be boiled in wort.

+1

you boil to form hot break, bitter the beer, and drive off the DMS.

Back