Can a rhizome be cut in 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
So I have planted some Cascade rhizomes from Freshops. I planted them horizontally. A couple of them are sprouting from both ends.
Can I cut the rhizome at the middle and create two separate plants?

Leave them alone for this year, rhizomes have a limited amount of energy to get started. Next year, you will be cursing the plague. I had over 40 shoots from the Cascade the second year.

cascade_forest.jpg

a standard rhizome (for commercial sale) usually has two rings of buds on it. i reckon this is a fail safe in that if one ring does not produce, generally something from the other ring will send up some shoots. sure you can cut them in half, but like david said, it's probably better to take a cautious approach until you see what mayhem these plants can cause. give them some time. and by planting them horizontally, they'll have a tendency to 'run'. more shoots will have a chance to grow further underground away from the crown. over time this can cause some problems if you're trying to contain them.

how do you trim your rhizomes? Dig up an area around the crown?

I'm concerned about over growth in general. I'm considering large pots since I'm planting for the first time this week. But I don't really know what to expect with either.

think of a rhizome kinda like a tree trunk. the buds sprout off the trunk like the limbs of the tree and radiate outward from the trunk, then grow up and become the vines that produce the hops. in the spring, just as growth begins, take a shovel and dig straight down about 6-10 inches out from the main crown. lift the soil gently and you will see any rhizomes that have decided to grow outwards from the crown. these can be clipped (close to the crown and used to propagate new plants). continue to lift the soil, every couple inches, until you've worked your way entirely around the crown. most of the rhizomes are located within the top six inches of the soil (some may be deeper depending on how deep you originally planted). don't worry about removing too many buds as there are TONS of extra buds left on the main crown to produce a crop for the next year. have fun and believe what you see more than what you read. it all takes time.

Thanks,
That sways me more toward planting in the ground rather than in large pots. Feeling more confident already.

Now just waiting for this huge storm to pass. ugh Time takes too long sometimes.

Back