Effects of temperature change in stored beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a consensus. I just bottled a twelve pack off my carbed and chilled keg. Do these beers need to go in the fridge? Or will I be ok keeping them in my basement at about 70 out of direct sunlight?

Yes, you'll be ok storing them in the basement at 70. Generally, the higher the storge temperature, the faster changes such as aging, carbonation, oxidation, etc take place. What kind of beer is it?

thedom said:
yes, you'll be ok storing them in the basement at 70. Generally, the higher the storge temperature, the faster changes such as aging, carbonation, oxidation, etc take place. What kind of beer is it?

ipa

Hopefully your planning on drinking that quickly and not aging it. In my experience hops loose flavor very quickly.

Hopefully your planning on drinking that quickly and not aging it. In my experience hops loose flavor very quickly.

This. IPAs and most pale styles of beer don't tend to age very well, and if you want to store them for a little bit, fridge temps are best. Hell, even at fridge temps IPAs will lose some hop flavor and aroma over time. Dark beers tend to age better, I think because of a higher antioxidant content which protects them from staling better than pale beers.

Yep. The one thing you should avoid is constantly changing the temp they're storing at. Slow and steady is what happens in the fridge, plus the cold temp will help clear it out really nicely. But at 70 it'll be ready faster.

Regular caps can allow for some oxidation,it seems,from my experiences. But since I've started using o2 caps,the oxidation factor is negligent. In fact,flavors are improving. So it seems those o2 caps help stop,or at least hold off, oxidation from temp swings. Even thought the temps still govern how fast or slow the bottles condition.

Latest posts

Back