pilot light setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekoob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a brutus 10 style build and have a pilot light question;
right now i have a 1/2" gas manifold, two tee's and a street elbow to split it up for each burner.
Off each tee and elbow (going straight up) I have another tee, solinoid valve, flex gas line to the burner.
Off the side each of the tee's i have a 1/4" brass line with a 1/4" needle valve, then 1/4" brass line up to the burner.
I am using high pressure cast iron burners like so http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=30295&sid=&eid=

I was originally thinking of drilling and tap a 1/4" hole into each burner and put a 1/4" plug with small hole drilled into it as the pilot, now I am thinking of just ending the 1/4" brass tube at the side of the burner and maybe a slight "crimp" in the center to close up the hole a little and just light that as the pilot.

what are your thoughts? any suggestions?

Thanks for the info Catt. I didn't consider the burn rich and sooty.

I originally had my burner set up as you described. It was similar to a candle flame. The soot was only a very minor inconvenience. Not a big deal at all, but at a low setting it was much too easy to blow out. The real pilot burner provides a nice strong blue flame and it is not particularly sensitive to the gas supply pressure. It's well worth the cost.

I use the same honeywell ones... they work well, dont blow out easily, but they are loud. I can hear the pilot over the pumps and burners running.

I use the same honeywell ones... they work well, dont blow out easily, but they are loud. I can hear the pilot over the pumps and burners running.

Hey RCB! I use a needle valve ahead of the pilot burner and I can adjust it to burn silently yet still have a strong flame. This would be difficult to do with a ball valve as they are not well suited to fine adjustments as is the needle valve.

BTW, PM, call or email me when you have time. I want to pick up the remains of the blanket etc. (and drink some of your German Pils if there is any left).:drunk:

Thats a good idea with the needle valve... you're right... the ball valve doesn't control it well... I'll shoot you a PM.

Back