Chill Haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXXX

Reaction score
I'm carbing at 12psi, keg is sitting at a nice 4 celcius or so. It was clear (could see to bottom of corny keg with flashlight) when i kegged it, but now it has chill haze...

When I was racking it into the keg, it appeared clear as water (like the beaker on the far right). Now that it is chilled, I would say it has a Turbidity (haziness) value of between 50 and 100--see pic.

Any tips? Is there some kind of coagulating substance I could add before racking? I didn't secondary, only primary for 20 days. It is a Cooper's Pilsener kit. Fermentation temp was around 68 ambient for the first few days, then low 60's for the remainder.

Thanks

FTU-NTU_Turbidity.jpg

UPDATE: actual picture (looks worse than it really is, mind you... and yes, I know it's not carbonated yet... I'm 'tasting' it)

beer_chill_haze.jpg

I should mention I'm just getting back into homebrewing, but I've done a substantial amount of it in the past. I've kegged and also bottled in the past, and I haven't had this issue. Some were cloudy (maybe like the second from the right: Turbidity of 20) but nothing like this one.

I think I found my answer in another thread... the residual sediment (whether stirred up during transfer, or still suspended in the beer) settles near the dip tube after tranferring to the keg. Because of that, the sediment is sucked up with the beer for the first couple pints.

Makes sense, because this is the first pint drawn from the keg.

I answered my own question I believe. If it doesn't go away, I'll be back :)

Back