Gah! No lids!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
Brewed today for the first time since moving into the house. I knew right where my fermenters and airlocks and other stuff were. Started the brew going, and as I'm chilling I dig out my fermenters. Yep. The fermenters were right where I thought they were.

But the lids weren't!

Searched high and low and have no idea where the lids are! They got boxed up and haven't been unboxed yet.

So... I'll be demonstrating that an airlock isn't completely necessary in brewing. I'll be using the "cover the damn thing with tinfoil and leave it alone" method of fermenting. :D

beerfoil.jpg

My wife actually likes this idea. If the ferment goes crazy, it'll just foam over into the tub rather than blow out the airlock and paint the room.

I used a similar approach long ago when making wine. I used cling wrap and overlapped it a bit to keep fruit flies out - worked fine.

I bottled a batch today and realized that I had no lid for my bottling bucket. Did the same thing with tin foil.

Paranoia about flys & bugs maybe? I never really thought about it other than that I don't want my beer open during the 30 min or so that it takes to fill the bottles. I live in Florida, so we've got lots of bugs and critters flying around all the time.

Back