drilling holes in homemade mashpaddle not going so well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
just drilling pilot holes, taking forever, there's smoke coming out of the holes and I'm thinking, "holy CRAP! this maple sure is hard wood"

finally got the pilot holes done, put in the 1" flat bit and, "holy CRAP! this is not gonna work at all... maybe I ought to start with the ½" bit."

So I go to change bits when it hits me how much a dumbfookin' idiot I am

hint: it's a reversible drill :smack: d'oh!

just drilling pilot holes, taking forever, there's smoke coming out of the holes and I'm thinking, "holy CRAP! this maple sure is hard wood"

finally got the pilot holes done, put in the 1" flat bit and, "holy CRAP! this is not gonna work at all... maybe I ought to start with the ½" bit."

So I go to change bits when it hits me how much a dumbfookin' idiot I am

hint: it's a reversible drill :smack: d'oh!

I know that feel all too well, i had the same mistake when i was drilling(or trying) to drill my wooden cigar box for my stir plate.

It wasnt until the last hole that i realized what was happening...

The good news is that you don't have to tell anyone about it. Oh wait, never mind.

I'm at that point where I don't mind anyone knowing what a pig-effing idiot I am, though I get a bit embarrassed if I'm not the first one to point it out.

it's the price I gotta pay to make someone, especially the BigHair, laugh

and she gets to laugh every day

LMAO!! My only question is why did it take you so long to figure that out. With in the first second of the bit not going through, I would have checked..

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to abuse power tools. :eek: :D With a keyless chuck drill it shouldn't be too difficult to have it going the right way. Well, it isn't for most men. :D

in my defense, I haven't done any woodworking since junior high, in the '70s.

my commie little brother is the woodworker in the family

in my defense, I haven't done any woodworking since junior high, in the '70s.

my commie little brother is the woodworker in the family

Dude, knowing how to use a hand drill has nothing to do with woodworking. :eek: :D If a bit doesn't start going INTO the material being drilled, then either the bit is beyond dull, or you're going the wrong way. If the bit is fairly new, or hasn't been used much, then guess what. :eek: :drunk:

How many drinks did you have before you started this?

it WAS going in, just took extreme effort and was burning the wood

So the smoke and extreme effort you were going through didn't register on the first hole? :smack: You don't use tools much, do you? I mean, my mother (65+ years old) knows how to properly use a drill.

it was 9am, so 0

If you're like that stone sober, I'd hate to see you drunk. :eek: :D

So the smoke and extreme effort you were going through didn't register on the first hole? :smack: You don't use tools much, do you? I mean, my mother (65+ years old) knows how to properly use a drill.

I'm sure your mother is quite adept at using power tools

If you're like that stone sober, I'd hate to see you drunk. :eek: :D

I'd consider it a life well-lived if you never see me sober or drunk

I guess I don't understand people telling him how he should have realized he was screwing up. I guess those people have never made silly mistakes.

Lesson learned dude, I bet you never make that mistake again! I use a drill everyday and once witnessed a co-worker trying to drill through brick with a wood bit. I let him go for awhile before telling him ;)

I'm sure your mother is quite adept at using power tools

I'd consider it a life well-lived if you never see me sober or drunk
:p
With helping my father on projects around the house, you quickly learned how to use tools of all kinds.

I guess I don't understand people telling him how he should have realized he was screwing up. I guess those people have never made silly mistakes.

I guess my father just taught me how to properly use tools, and no one taught him anything. :eek: Seriously, these things are so clearly marked these days it's not even funny. Not like they were 20+ years ago.

Real men know how to use tools. Give him a different/new tool, and he should be able to figure out how it functions quickly, at least to a base level without a manual.

Lesson learned dude, I bet you never make that mistake again! I use a drill everyday and once witnessed a co-worker trying to drill through brick with a wood bit. I let him go for awhile before telling him ;)
I guess the saying is true... Try to make something idiot-proof and bigger idiots will come along to defeat that. :eek: :D

I hope that wasn't an expensive wood bit he was molesting on the brick.

:p
With helping my father on projects around the house, you quickly learned how to use tools of all kinds.

I guess my father just taught me how to properly use tools, and no one taught him anything. :eek: Seriously, these things are so clearly marked these days it's not even funny. Not like they were 20+ years ago.

Real men know how to use tools. Give him a different/new tool, and he should be able to figure out how it functions quickly, at least to a base level without a manual.

I guess the saying is true... Try to make something idiot-proof and bigger idiots will come along to defeat that. :eek: :D

I hope that wasn't an expensive wood bit he was molesting on the brick.

Haha...ya, it was about a 25 dollar one made to drill through walls ;) he'd already ruined it by the time I noticed what it was.

98% done with the mash paddle, just needing some extra-fine sanding and it's finished!

wasn't sure if I was going to mark off volumes. got a turkey fryer for Christmas with a 30-qt stockpot, so I figured I needed to measure it. thinking I'll just use a tape measure and write down the measurements, so I can mark off the paddle, or anything else I want to use.

So, I pour in 1 gallon & measure... 2"
pour in another gallon & measure... 4"

I'll be danged. and it worked up to 15" for 30 quarts. how convenient

98% done with the mash paddle, just needing some extra-fine sanding and it's finished!

wasn't sure if I was going to mark off volumes. got a turkey fryer for Christmas with a 30-qt stockpot, so I figured I needed to measure it. thinking I'll just use a tape measure and write down the measurements, so I can mark off the paddle, or anything else I want to use.

So, I pour in 1 gallon & measure... 2"
pour in another gallon & measure... 4"

I'll be danged. and it worked up to 15" for 30 quarts. how convenient

Cool, your pot is then 12 1/16" diameter

Good job Grog Nerd, and thanks for the laugh. Humility is a wonderful trait and hubris will eventually bite you in the butt. My dad taught me how to use power tools and also be nice to people, especially if they admit the mistake.;)

Golddiggie, what is your deal lately? You're often snarky, which I can appreciate (I love me some sarcasm)... but lately, it seems like somebody whizzed in your wheaties. Lots of condescension from you, which just isn't particularly enjoyable to read.

Before I finished college, I built cabinets for a living. I remember a couple of hole saws creating insane amounts of smoke and requiring tons of effort when doing some install work... we weren't drilling backwards, it was simply tough wood. Point being that difficulty drilling hard maple is not in and of itself a symptom of a problem.

Yeah, drilling backwards is definitely an embarassing mistake, but the OP feels like an ass already; I doubt he makes the same mistake for as long as he continues to suck air. Laugh along with the story like the guy is clearly hoping you will do. Sheez.

I have news for you, GrogNerd - it's pretty rare to learn anything from success. You learn from failure. You have now learned to check for proper drill bit rotation. :)

We've all been there. Some of us apparently won't cop to that, but we've all done stupid things.

Golddiggie, what is your deal lately? You're often snarky, which I can appreciate (I love me some sarcasm)... but lately, it seems like somebody whizzed in your wheaties. Lots of condescension from you, which just isn't particularly enjoyable to read.

Yeah, I second this.

GrogNerd, we've all been there, done that (and that's with my father teaching me how to use power tools correctly). Sometimes you just forget. As stated, that will be the first thing you check from now on!

I have done it a few time also. Just not paying attention to the way the drill is rotating. Making mistakes is what makes us human, otherwise we would all be robots.

So, the next question- How did the mash paddle come out? pictures?

I think the GrogNerd's avatar sums up his problems... lol

Seriously though, I do get tired of the back and forth crap that goes on here on HBT. One reason I don't spend as much time here as on my Club's forum. Seems like when people know they will never meet a person face to face, it gives them liberty to treat them like a sack of crap. Why can't we all just get along... haha!

Anyway, GrogNerd, I want to see this "Smokin' hot" mash paddle! Maybe your brewery could be named something like "Wrong Turn Brewing"... Just an idea. Ha!

Yeah... I'm happy for you guys though. Congratulations! Now if Philly had won the division. Heck no! But, that isn't happening any time soon. lol. I'm a 'boyz fan of course! I do have a realistic bone in my body that says The Boyz ain't going back to the big-game until the Tyrant Jones loosens his death grip on the GM job on that team. I like the Cowboys... always have... always will. I just can't stand that old fart that owns the team! The fact that the cowboys have even made it to the playoffs at all is a miracle in and of itself!

Yeah... I'm happy for you guys though. Congratulations! Now if Philly had won the division. Heck no! But, that isn't happening any time soon. lol. I'm a 'boyz fan of course! I do have a realistic bone in my body that says The Boyz ain't going back to the big-game until the Tyrant Jones loosens his death grip on the GM job on that team. I like the Cowboys... always have... always will. I just can't stand that old fart that owns the team! The fact that the cowboys have even made it to the playoffs at all is a miracle in and of itself!

i would bet that more 'Skins fans hate their owner than 'Boyz fans hate theirs

Princess Dan has always been under the assumption that the 'Skins are one free agent away from greatness.

he now realizes that all it takes is 2 rookies (although he did get the one rookie by trading away McNabb to the Vikes)

Can you tell I'm not a Romeo fan? Punk kid just wants to be a "cool-guy" instead of leading his team! He could take some leadership lessons from Aikman and Staubach...

Back