Popcorn in the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
Just did a search and, surprisingly enough, came up with bugger-all.

I want to brew some beer with corn and I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you can use popcorn in the mash along with barley. Just pop it in the microwave, then chuck it in the mash. I recall that the microwaving screws the enzymes, but if it is only 10-20% of the mash that shouldn't matter.

Can any one confirm or deny this, or add anything else?

Thanks

pip

i did a quick search and found that native americans made a popcorn beer but could not track down a recipe.
sorry.....

It's settled then, if native americans can do it, then so can I.

I'll have a stab at it on Saturday!

(More info welcome!)

Hmm, If you are going to do this, you had better watch this episode of Good Eats. Alton talks about popping popcorn at home. Even if you buy unsalted microwave popcorn, there are still additives and baddies you probably don't want in your beer...even if it is just the mash.

I don't think that corn adds any enzymes to the mash, which is why it can't be used as a base malt (needs to be mashed with barley).

Anyone know if popping the corn would gelatinze it? It would be weird to have to pop the corn, then cook it in order to have the starches readily accessible in the mash.

You might consider just adding 1/2 to 1 LB. of corn grits. That's what I did to the current batch I'm drinking. I think it the best beer I brewed to date. I used a grain bill for a 10 gal. sierra nevada clone and decided to throw in the orgainic grits my wife had just brought home from Whole foods on a lark. I'm glad I did.:mug:

That being said I don't see any reason popcorn wouldn't work. But I would not use microwave popcorn that's prebagged. Get something like a 1 or 2 lb. bag of Pops Rite, or Orville Redenbackers and air pop or microwave it without oil.

Back