Before I start drilling holes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I am getting ready to drill some holes in my project box. And before I do that I want to let everyone look at it to see if there is something that I could improve upon. I am just trying to build a basic single kettle/single element system without any pumps. I have a 220v 30 amp GFCI circuit that will be powering everything. Here is what I am going to be using:

1 - 2352 Auberins PID
1 - Temperature probe (plug mounted in the front of the controller box)
1 - 2 pole, 120v, 30 amp contactor
1 - 40 amp SSR w/heat sink
1 - Flash/buzz alarm (mounted in the front of the controller box)
1 - Element power light (plug mounted in the front of the controller box)
2 - 120v 20 amp toggle switch (mounted in the front of the controller box)

The control box will plug into my dryer plug so I will simply unplug it when I am not using it. One toggle switch is to close the contactor that will complete the circuit between the SSR and the element. The other toggle switch is to power on the PID. I am essentially following the schematic in the third photo, except that I am going to add the toggle switch for the contactor.

The top photo is just to show where the 1/16 PID will go.

The second photo is laid out just as I plan to install everything. 10/4 wire for power will come into the box on the bottom middle of the left side. 10/3 wire to the element will go out the bottom middle of the right side. I believe that I should have a minimum of clutter inside the box, but it will still be kind of tight due the project box being so small.

Any ideas or comments before I start drilling would be greatly appreciated. :)

aa01.jpg

aa02.jpg

Single Design.jpg

I looked at the Auberins project box and ultimately decided that it was nice but not great for brewing unless you keep it far away from the liquids. I thought at first that I would never splash or spill much - well I made a mess on my last brew day and was glad I had a pretty watertight box. If you can rig up some kind of shield to keep it dry - do so. Not sure I'd want the temp probe in front, gets in the way as the wire is a bit stiff (assuming the red/white auber cable).

I agree about the probe location. I assume your receptacles and power cord will be coming in from the back. You could put your probe back there as well. That will keep the front nice and clean looking.

My panel is not yet built, but I have though about doing the same as you with the probe but have decided to put it on the back instead.

Cheers

Take a look at my thread for some inspiration, because that little box will fill up quickly. Receptacles, 10/4 and 10/3 wiring and appropriate strain relief and adequate cooling for that internally mounted heat sink may take up a ton of space in there. samc is absolutely right, mount it appropriately.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/another-biab-rig-what-you-guys-multiplying-242653/

I've got a lot more pics, just haven't gotten around to updating the thread recently.

Back