Chinook v. Simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
Would Chinook make a reasonably close substitute for Simcoe? I'm curious about use for bittering and as aroma, especially in conjunction with Amarillo.

I think Amarillo is the best substitute for Simcoe. Chinook is going to be a lot different. If I were going to use Chinook it would be for mash hop, first wort hop or bittering.

The reason I asked about Simcoe and Chinook is that both are supposed to be pine-y and grapefruit-y. I have use both, but have not been able to do a side- by-side. I was planning to do a pale with late additions of either Amarillo/Simcoe or Amarillo/Chinook.

I've done the reverse substitution, using Simcoe in place of Chinook as a bittering hop in a stout, and it was fine, FWIW.

According to Jamil in brewing classic styles simcoe is in the group with [BC-Goldings, glacier, Chinook,cluster ] so according to that, chinook would be a good substitute, but I'd say it's a little too distinctive of a hop to use as a substitute, even if used just for bittering I find Chinook has a way of still coming through with its flavor and aroma. you might be better off using cluster for bittering, then a combination of late addition hops to try and get that simcoe character. Amarillo for the citrus side, glacier for the "dank" and some Norther brewer for spice.

Simcoe is vary unique, I like simcoe a lot and would try hard to find some before subbing it.

I agree with oswegan. Chinook has much more of the piney notes to it, than the grapefruit. If I had to substitute, I would use amarillo. Although it is definitely not a direct substitute, just about any beer that uses simcoe, could use amarillo in its place and turn out to be just as good. Then again, they are my favorite hops.

maybe use a combination of chinook and amarillo. you might get closer to your desired flavor/aroma than just using one of them.

Thanks for the help. Chinook for bittering, and maybe a combination of chinook, amarillo, and perhaps a bit of centennial would get me the pine and grapefruit??

Back