Wierd Looking Nut Brown (Help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2HomeBrew

Reaction score
I am a little bit worried. I just brought out my Nut Brown to keg, and it looks really wierd. There is stuff floating on the top that looks kind of like a trub colored sponge. Should I be worried? Is this an infection? :confused:

New2HomeBrew said:
I am a little bit worried. I just brought out my Nut Brown to keg, and it looks really wierd. There is stuff floating on the top that looks kind of like a trub colored sponge. Should I be worried? Is this an infection? :confused:

Could you take a digital photo and post it? It would really help figure out what is going on.

How long has it been fermenting? How does it smell? If it has been long enough I'd go ahead and keg it. Take a sample and make sure it tastes OK.

not uncommon from the description. its basically a clump of yeast and trub that's bouyant enough to float.

I believe this thread speaks to the same issue, with picture (though I see the OP posted the picture link here too). Sounds like problem solved. I agree looks like normal floaties. The way to avoid would be to strain the wort when transferring to the primary fermenter.

Thalon said:
I believe this thread speaks to the same issue, with picture (though I see the OP posted the picture link here too). Sounds like problem solved. I agree looks like normal floaties. The way to avoid would be to strain the wort when transferring to the primary fermenter.
Try this contraption. 5-gallon paint strainer wrapped around the wort chiller. After teh wort is cool, let it sit for about 15 minutes and then drop this gently into the beer. Creates a clear pool of wort inside where you drop your racking cane to siphon.

Chiller_Filter_2.jpg

yep, that's exactly what I pictured in my head. not a problem, just floating trub.

Back