What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the peppa sauce goin...& the car that was dead as a doornail 3 weeks ago. Charged it up a couple hours this afternoon to check some things & blam! Fired right up like nothin' ever happened! Cool. I gotta start callin' in for jury duty on the 17th anyway. Wheew...:rockin:

Picked up a 10 gallon cooler. I'm done with 5 gallon batches. Have a larger square cooler if I decide I want a high gravity beer for some reason.

Late night in the brewery last night...
Kegged 10g BCS American Amber and moved it into the kegerator. Put one keg under 30psi for fast carbing.
Moved an imperial stout that was conditioning into the kegerator and put it on the gas
Dumped trub from an IPA that's in primary
Cleaned a bunch of stuff, of course
And tasted a few things in transit. The Amber is mellow. The Stout is wild with licorice, chocolate, coffee, molasses flavors. And pretty hot on the nose still after 4 months of conditioning.

Decided to do some rearranging in the man cave/brewery today. I have credit cards for a couple places & decided to look at 7-10 cu ft fridge/freezer combos. Thinkin' of getting one soon. I'll have the room now for it next to the wire drying shelf. I decided against buying a kegging setup, since I'm 59 & might not have many years left where I can still drink beer. Then again, I might. But at least I can get bottled beers, hops, yeast & LME in close range. :rockin:

Cleaned some equipment (mash tun, primary, etc) and made a yeast starter of wlp080 for the cream ale I'll brew on Friday. Then I'm going to make a Jalepeno tincture to add before bottling in three weeks.

Gotta get at least one credit card paid off & get rid of the reclining racing buckets I bought for my tuner to compensate for a 10 cu ft fridge/freezer for the man cave/brewery. Been re-arranging to make room.

Transferred 6.5 gallons of my Honey Nelson Saison from the chronical to my bottling bucket, lagering for a few days before kegging/bottling...Took my FG reading and bam Nailed my target and already is a good sipper.

Sheeze, what a day!Had to remove the battery, wake up my son who worked all night, get the 3 month old batter back to o'reilly's & wait for them to charge it. They tested it immediately thereafter, pronouncing it good. We both told them it'd be dead by morning. " Oh no, if it does that, it's your car! It's always the alternator or a wire or somethin"! Friggin' A-holes couldn't fix a fart if their lives depended on it. So that was about 12:15PM.
Got it home, bolted it back onto the battery tray, but still disconnected. We'd stopped for cigs & a 12 pack of locos tacos at Taco Hell, so we settled in for some lunch. Them the damned mouse took a dump & hung up. AAAAAARRRRRGH! @##!@#$@$R^^%%$not to mention the dang%^&$^%%#$ & the friggin'@##$@$@#%%! So I waited till my son got home, since by this time that bad L2 disc is barkin' to go into Best Buy & grab a new one. It was 3:32PM when we got in the car to leave. It cranked twice & started clicking. Charged it another 20 minutes to get it started. Got to Best Buy & GE. Got that goin', cracked a tall cool one & here we are...:drunk:

Stepped up a starter in the early am, finally got around to cleaning my keg and beer line and i had to completly disassemble my perlick flow control tap to get the pbw flowing.

Bottled my Christmas ale. Picked up items for a winter ale. Going to have a brew day tomorrow.

Today I nursed a furious hangover after an epic sampling session last night. All for beer.

Brewed a dunkleweizen. Also managed to clean the keg the kicked on Friday while brewing. Started around 7 in the morning. temps got to about 100 today :( and I was not done till around 3pm so I got the worst of the heat. I did find that decoction mash volume recommendation in beersmith got me no where close to target temperatures (140 aiming for 154), but I just fired up the burner under my keggle mash tun (with some recirculation) to solve that problem. The resulting wort was so delicious I almost pored myself a glass. All around a good brew day and that makes me happy.

Bottled some Dry Irish Stout.

NB_DIS.jpg

Gonna drink some more of my dry stout (whiskely) in a bit. Gonna make it with a chocolate mole' stout next time. Went through all my photobucket pics & added some more titles & descriptions.

I bottled my Centennial Blonde today, and racked my "limited edition" very heavy Scotch ale to secondary.

Finished the construction of my keggle mashtun. The BK has been done and being used for awhile now. Just need to complete the HERMS coil and the HTL will be complete. Its just a stand left after that. Degasses 6 gallons of dandylion wine and been drinking german bock since noon to clear out a keg for bavarian pilsner.

Roused the dry hops in a BCS An American IPA. Aroma coming outta that fermenter is something lovely.

Tested my new tejas burners low pressure jet burner. Wow what a difference from the lp conversion of a banjo. I see step mashes in my future that don't take 25 mins to move 10 degrees

My dads craving proper british cask ale. Did the research for a beer engine. About 50 canadian total for all parts. Then the cask, but i have good access to proper wooden ones made by oroper coopers for a good price.

Holy Bejesus, I had a cleaning spree today.

What are the odds?

I have three taps on the side of my old kegerator. All three taps kicked on the same day (yesterday). One right after the other. You couldn't even get a full glass outta all three taps. It was bang, bang, bang.

It was my friend who was trying to pour a beer at the time. When he told me, I didn't beleive him and went to see for myself. When I pulled one of the taps, bottom-dwelling gelatin trubb poop splattered the whole side of the kegerator.

So today: cleaned all three kegs and taps, kegged an Octoberfest with a fourth keg, and unhooked the CO2 tank (which of course was about to kick too) for filling.

I have a dark lager (brewed as an ale) which will be ready this weekend for kegging. Then on to brewing the Left Hand milk stout this weekend.

This is a demanding hobby. I had to drink Coors light for the last two days.

I poked my head into my ferm chamber to see if fermentation had started yet. It smelled awesome. Longest lag time yet but then again it is my first lager.

I poked my head into my ferm chamber to see if fermentation had started yet. It smelled awesome. Longest lag time yet but then again it is my first lager.

The last time I poked my head into my ferm chamber and took a deep whiff I got lightheaded from all the CO2 and my nostrils burned.

Thought about the 6lbs of DME in the backseat of my car whilst on my way to work. Need to boil some up and step up my Belgian yeast starters. Can also pull my two primaries from the ferm chamber and secondary, since the basement is sitting at a perfect 66*F.

Gotta figure out if I'll be able to brew this weekend before stepping the starter- or just do it - " Honey I have to brew, the yeast is ready!"

Planning my first double decoction mash for this weekend. Should be a long, but fun brew day.

The last time I poked my head into my ferm chamber and took a deep whiff I got lightheaded from all the CO2 and my nostrils burned.

Im sure if i do it again in a few days ill get a face full of co2. It seems like fermentation had just started this early morning. Is it the same burning feeling like when you're drinking soda and your burp comes out of the nose?

Made a tentative plan to brew upwards of 50 gallons by Christmas; decided to not pull the trigger on the 25% off deal at spike brewing until I got home... and the deal was over by then. Nursed my sadness with some Yella Pils.

Back