Shanks, a couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I'm graduating from a picnic tap to a perlick soon, but I have a question on what shank to order. Two questions, really.

1. Some come with a built in 3/16" nipple. Others one adapts with a tailpiece, most of those are 1/4". I have 3/16" line, but I suppose it would fit on either. Is there an advantage one has over the other? Cleaning? Price?

2. I think I saw somewhere that having a longer shank than one needs keeps the tap colder and therefore less initial foam. I don't have much space, so how long is long enough?

Thanks,
Rich

I went for the shanks with the nipple already on them. One less piece to buy and one less thing to leak. As far as the shank length...buy what you need. The beer lines and the exposed shank will all get their share of the cold from your fridge/keezer. I bought mine a little long because I was paranoid about ordering too short....LOL

I went the other way. I bought the shanks without the attached nipple simply because it allows you to take the beer line off easier for swapping to longer lines or cleaning away from the keezer. It just seemed easier for me to work with a removabale hose than one that was attached to a shank semi permanently. But in the end it's all about what you prefer, this was just my opinion.

I also bought a size larger than I thought I would need for the same reason. A shank that is too short is worthless.

Anyone else know something about shank length through the fridge or keezer for reducing first pour foam(by keeping the faucet cold)?

Rich

I have the 4 1/8" on my mini fridge kegerator. Installed last night, no foamy first pour and the internal fridge is around 42F. It was a PITA to shove the 3/16" tubing onto the 1/4" tailpiece though.

I have the 4 1/8" on my mini fridge kegerator. Installed last night, no foamy first pour and the internal fridge is around 42F. It was a PITA to shove the 3/16" tubing onto the 1/4" tailpiece though.

Have a coffee cup handy with hot water. Let the beer line sit in the cup for a minute or two. It'll slide on like KY.....

So how much of the shaft (minus the nipple) shows through? I too have a mini-fridge, going through the door, but I was thinking a 3 1/8" to be able to mount where I want. I'd be more restricted as to location with a 4 1/8, but if it does a better pour....

Latest posts

Back