Return of the 1.086 creature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkylerChaBro

Reaction score
Coming back to the 1.086 wheat monster I inadvertently created.

I have been checking the gravity each week to track the progress and surprising enough, it has actually fallen under 1.02. In fact, it is down to 1.012 and still bubbling. The fermentation seems to finally be slowing at an exponential rate. One more week will make a month and two days in primary.

On the other hand tasting the test sample showed off a strong and straight forward alcohol twinge, and heavy malt flavor (underhopped). I'm still going to rack at leased half this batch over strawberries in secondary and let the other half start bottle conditioning right away. For this one to turn out decent I'm guessing it will have to sit and mellow for a while.

Any recommendations or ideas for how many lbs of fresh strawberries should be sanitized and used for 2.5 gallons? I'm looking for the strawberry to be noticed against the twinge.

How do you plan on sanitizing the strawberries? You should pasteurize them, but probably add some pectic enzyme as well...

From what what I have researched so far many people put the strawberries in the freezer to help open up the fruits juices and then later pure and boil them for a short period at 150. The trick is to not boil the pure for too long or too high. Cool, add to secondary, and rack beer on top.

I'm not sure about the pectic enzyme.

Latest posts

Back