Help with bucket stain please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metzger22

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and can't seem to find the advice I'm looking for. But please note that I did look before posting<--------This may bite me in the ass when someone posts a link to the exact remedy:(
I bottled my first batch last night and soaked the primary bucket in water over night. Today I dumped it, added OxyClean and filled with water. Let it soak for half an hour and washed with a sponge. There is still a faint odor and some yellowing remains. Am I mixing to light or not letting soak long enough? Does it even matter? :confused:

Metzger22 said:
There is still a faint odor and some yellowing remains. Am I mixing to light or not letting soak long enough? Does it even matter? :confused:
All of my buckets smell permanently of beer - I wouldn't worry about it. If it worries you that much, you could switch to better bottles - the PET plastic doesn't stain/absorb odors like the HDPE buckets do.

My buckets are forever stained red from the Idophor and they still work fine. You'll be fine as long as your not leaving crud stuck in them.

If it bothers you that much, put Oxyclean in them and let them soak for a few days.

yeah its ok, all my buckets smell too. As long as they are washed with oxy-clean, and a fermenter only brush, then sanitized, they are good to go.

a baking soda soak over night will help lower the hop aroma...but honestly its normal.

as long as you don't try to make wine in your primary bucket, its not gonna be an issue. (and honestly it might be fine to make wine in the beer bucket...I don't know for a fact if that flavor or aroma would leech back out of the plastic or not)

Back