experience with FWHing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loganb

Reaction score
i was just wanting to hear about anyones experience with first wort hopping good or bad. i am goin to try it on my next brew but just wanted to kinda see what to expect as far as bitterness, aroma, and flavor. i will be doin it on an english pale ale. thanks

LOVE IT... it gives a roundness to the bitterness/flavor that is hard to describe.

Now, there are plenty of threads here on how to properly FWH a beer, I am sure you have read them.

Id advise against using high AA hops in the FWH, but some people still use them.

Never had a bad experience with them in my Pale Ales... it is excellent.

Id advise against using high AA hops in the FWH, but some people still use them.

Never had a bad experience with them in my Pale Ales... it is excellent.

the hops i am goin to use are either fuggle or kent goldings which i think are like 4.5-5% or something like that. and on the high AA hops the stone pale ale clone i want to do calls for magnum and i kinda want to try FWH with that recipe but like you said and i have heard from other places about the high AA hops and FWH i am kinda worried about that but oh well if it works good if not i will still drink it. thanks i cant wait to try it out

Well, because you are increasing utilization... some people have reported that it can come across a little harsh.

FWH has been traditionally done with finishing hops that are actually moved to FWH, they arent typically a special addition, they are finishing hops from the recipe that are moved forward.

Say you have .5oz Hallertau at 10 minutes.

Youd move that to FWH and omit the 10 minute hops.

In addition, you want to use a good flavor hop for FWH and Magnum is pretty much just a bittering hop. Doesn't bring much to the table regarding flavor/aroma.

I also think that FWH can be used in ways other than just moving late hops to FWH. That's just the way it was originally proposed by Fix. For example, I think using only FWH and aroma additions (no typical bittering addition) can work nicely.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one based on my own personal experience. Columbus (or CTZ) and Chinook have worked very nicely for me as a FWH. I consider both of them as high AA. Just curious, what high AA hops have you had this experience with so I can avoid them.:mug:

Note, I didnt say that you cant use high AA hops. I advised against it... I didnt even say it wouldnt work.

The suitability will differ based on the humulene and myrcene ratios of the given hop.

People still do use them successfully, but for someone not familiar with FWH, I advise against it for now.

The two hops you listed, though higher in AA, are also suitable dual purpose hops, which is different than say Nugget, Target, Warrior, Magnum...

I've actually had very good experience using high alpha hops for FWH. I've used both Magnum and Summit, and they've always come out quite smooth. If anything, it's definitely been a smoother bitterness than tossing them into the boil.

I can certainly see how it would vary from hop to hop, but it should correlate with directly adding them (i.e., the acid makeup of the hop).

I plan on FHW with high-alphas again.

TL

Note, I didnt say that you cant use high AA hops. I advised against it... I didnt even say it wouldnt work.

The suitability will differ based on the humulene and myrcene ratios of the given hop.

People still do use them successfully, but for someone not familiar with FWH, I advise against it for now.

The two hops you listed, though higher in AA, are also suitable dual purpose hops, which is different than say Nugget, Target, Warrior, Magnum...

So you're saying you've had a bad experience with Nugget, Target, Warrior, Magnum as a FWH? How would you or I have ever found out without trying? Just sayin'....

So you're saying you've had a bad experience with Nugget, Target, Warrior, Magnum as a FWH? How would you or I have ever found out without trying? Just sayin'....

Bad experiences with all 4 of them...

I thought Warrior was a duel purpose hop? I know it's got a damn high alpha level, but a bunch of the sources I've read say that its got a good spice/citrus aroma & flavor too.

I've only used it once, and come to think of it, that beer did have an "aggressive" flavor that I wasn't crazy about....but I'm not sure it was the Warrior.

I'm thinking rather than saying don't use a high alpha hop for FWH maybe say don't use a hop developed solely for bittering. Or FWH with any aroma/flavor hop even if it's a dual purpose bittering hop. That's pretty much how I roll with FWH.

No one in this thread has said dont use high AA hops. I know that I did however advise against some high AA hops, while also stating that some do it and it works for them.

IME, finishing hops have just worked better for me, so that is what I encourage. I tried to make that clear in my post, sorry if it was interpreted in another way.

I've used FWH with a lot of higher alphas hops: Columbus, Chinook, Centennial, Magnum, Horizon, Northdown and some others and have never had a problem. BUT, I use more dual use hops for FWH. I tend to choose bittering hops that I like the aroma of and that's worked great for me thus far.

Never used it with Target, Nugget, Galena, Eroica, Cluster etc etc.

Only used it once with Magnum though and it was only a small amount, like 4 grams just to get the IBUs up. So I can't say that I have a lot of experience using it with Magnum. But I have used it a LOT with those other ones I have used. Been using FWH for the last 60 batches and used it for maybe 90% of those batches.

Anyway, so my advice would be just that: Use hops that you like the aroma of regardless of their Alpha Acid. If it's a hop that you strictly want the bittering from and don't want flavor/aroma from that hop, then use it as a regular bittering addition instead. Evaluate the hop. For me personally, would I add Columbus as a late addition? Yes, and I have dozens of times. Then by all means, I'd use it as FWH. Cluster? No, I would never add it as a late addition, so when I did use it for bittering, I didn't use FWH, just traditional bittering. Which was fine.

People like different hops and one man's most hated hop might be your most beloved for its flavor and aroma. So it's hard to set hard and fast rules. But you're using FWH to add aroma and flavor not just to eke out the most IBUs. So adding a potentially harsh bittering hop that's known for not having the best flavor as FWH doesn't make logical sense.

My two cents.

No one in this thread has said dont use high AA hops. I know that I did however advise against some high AA hops, while also stating that some do it and it works for them.

This is true. If you want to try out a variety he has said didn't work for him...Try it. You'll still end up with beer that I imagine will be drinkable. :cross:

This is true. If you want to try out a variety he has said didn't work for him...Try it. You'll still end up with beer that I imagine will be drinkable. :cross:

This is true, and they must have been drinkable based on 1st & 2nd place ribbons @ county & state fairs with high alpha acid hops as FWH...... Just sayin'..... :tank:

My first hopped wort came out with a bazillion IBUs. So much it made us pucker when we drank it. It was awesome but not something I would make again, on purpose.

Back