Huge boil over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I put to much water in my of for a stout extract. I added my first hops 2 oz of mt hood. Right away a boil over. Lost maybe around a gallon. Should I continue brewing? Will it still taste okay?

You should always continue brewing! (Well, unless you get something toxic in your wort.)

It'll still be beer.

Yes continue brewing, keep notes in case you really like the taste when it is done so you remember what you did or what happened.

Yes continue brewing, keep notes in case you really like the taste when it is done so you remember what you did or what happened.

It'll turn out to be the best beer you ever had and you'll have to induce a boil over every time you brew it. :D

But your gas holes may be full of gunk. May need to clean with a toothpick or something.
This just happened to me last weekend. I had a nasty yellow flame for the whole boil that turned my whole pot black with soot. And that crap gets EVERYwhere.

The burner was easy to take apart and clean at least. There's a bolt in the center that holds the gas diverter plate. Pull that off and clean it up. I used a wire wheel.

-Joe

It'll turn out to be the best beer you ever had and you'll have to induce a boil over every time you brew it. :D

Which will really suck when you make it big on that brew and have to brew it on a commercial level. :drunk:

What is the best way to clean the soot off the pot?

If oxyclean doesn't do it, use Barkeepers Friend and a nylon scrub pad... you can find it in any grocery store or hardware store with the cleaners. Mildly abrasive, does a GREAT job of cleaning stainless.

Back