Partial mash in a cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendrid

Reaction score
Tonight I did my first partial mash (London porter). I have a new turkey fryer so I was outside in the garage.

I wanted to start before the kids went to bed but I couldn't go to the garage yet. Then I remembered reading about all grain mashing and how it is done in a modified cooler.

My recipe from AHB stated 45 minutes at 150 degrees. I heated the water to 168, poured it into a cooler, and once I added the grains in a large grain bag I was just over 150. I closed the cooler, covered it and every 15 minutes stirred the water around.

It seems like it worked well. The temp at the end was 150 so it kept the constant temp the recipe called for. I unfortunately broke my hydrometer tonight so I couldn't take a reading. That really irked me as being my first PM I wanted to know how I did with the OG.

I also repitched yeast I harvested last week so tonight was a night of new procedures. The first time with my fryer, first time outside, first time with PM, first time with "used" yeast. Also my first time cleaning the fryer (that sucked - caked on gunk along the top edge from the boil).

Back