Feedback on a Belgian pumpkin ale idea please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertrapped

Reaction score
I figure fruity, plum, dark sugary, pumpkiny and spicy goodness. I guess it'd be more like a Christmas beer. I don't know.

Thoughts and advice welcome

5.5gallon batch

Mash at 154 degrees:
17lb pilsner
1 lb caramunich
60oz pumpkin puree (baked at 350 for 30-40minutes)
6oz special B

Boil:
Magnum hops (60 min for 30IBUs)
1lb dark candi sugar (5min)
2oz homemade pumpkin pie spice at flameout

Yeast:
Wyeast 3787 trappist

Est OG 1.094
Best FG 1.019

2 weeks in primary
2 weeks in secondary on a vanilla bean

I assume by dark cardi sugar, you mean syrup. (if not, get the syrup).

Id replace the special B with more syrup, the flavors will go better, and you will get a drier beer.

2 oz of pumpkin pie spice seems like alot. Id double check the sanity on that. You are going to get spiceness out of the 3787 yeast as well.

Yes, the syrup

And ok.....maybe I'll do 1oz of spice and go from there if needed.

Belgian phenolics + pumpkin spice = ick

Unless your planning to add oak cubes soaked in bourbon, and peanut butter, then its a different story.

KISS

I just realize I was saying ounces and not teaspoons on the pumpkin spice. Wtf. Lol. Major brain fart.

I tried a Belgian pumpkin beer before. Twas rough and not pumpkin-y. The yeast overcame the pumpkin flavor and the spices just made it a mess. I have however had a pumpkin triple
from 3rd amendment (?) that was really well done. Subtle flavor that was definitely interesting mixed with a triple.

Ok, did a little revamp.
5.5 gallon batch

Mash:
13lbs pilsner
2lbs Munich
1lb caramunich
4oz Special B
60oz roasted pumpkin

Boil:
Magnum (60min for 25 IBUs)
2 tsp homemade pumpkin spice (5min)
1lb dark candi syrup (0min)
1lb beet sugar(0min)

Wyeast 3787 Trappist

Est OG 1.094
Est FG 1.019

2 weeks in primary
2 weeks on vanilla bean
Conditioned until October

@supertrapped, did you end up making this recipe? I'm trying to mimic an excellent pumpkin saison I had at Oak Park and this is checks a lot of the boxes I'm looking for.

Here's the description I'm working from (haven't reached out to brewery yet)
* + Pumpkin Saison + *
ABV 7.1%, IBU 15, $6
A deep amber Saison brewed with pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, and nutmeg then fermented with blend of Belgian Yeast and Saison Yeast to create a complex fall-seasonal offering we're sure you'll enjoy.

Latest posts

Back