Strong Dark Ale Beta v1.0 - please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

credible2

Reaction score
I'm going to create a Belgian-style strong dark ale. It's going to be at least a couple of weeks, so I would like some input. I don't care as much about the numbers and style guidelines as much as its taste (what it could potentially taste like). I used promash for calculating.

Pilsner malt - 10 lb - 64.6%
Caramelized sugar (homemade) - 2 lb - 12.9%
Wheat malt - 1.5 lb - 9.7%
Caramunich 40 - 1 lb - 6.5%
Biscuit malt - .66 lb - 4.3%
Special B - .33 lb - 2.1%

Hallertau hop pellets (4.3%AA) - 1.33 oz - 60 minutes
Crystal hop pellets (2.8%AA) - .5 oz - 15 minutes
wYeast 3787 - Trappist high gravity

SG - 1.094
SRM - 22.7
IBUs - 24.6
Mash at 148F

Start the primary with 64F and gradually increase the temperature to 71-72F
Primary for 2 weeks. Lager for a month and a half. Reyeast, prime and Bottle condition for 5 or 6 months.

Maybe put some oak chips in when I lager?

Looks like a good recipe to me. How are you caramelizing the sugar?

Make sure to pitch plenty of yeast, you want a health culture of yeast going into this monster. Certainly doesn't need oak, maybe split off a gallon and make a Reserva version.

Good luck.

How are you caramelizing the sugar? Good luck.

I'm not 100% sure yet. But I want to use Louisiana cane sugar (My place of origin).
"Brew Like a Monk" talks about a technique for caramelizing sugar that I thought was interesting. But I'm going to have to experiment beforehand.

I'm thinking of lowering the caramunich to .75 lbs. I'm afraid of putting too much of anything because I'd rather have subtle flavors.

Latest posts

Back