Speidel airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fernando71

Reaction score
Hi I just got a 60L Speidel and my beer has been fermenting for about 36 hrs. I saw the air lock move up but i dont se the release of bubbles it just slowly goes back down again. I think I may have an air leak somewhere (maybe the stopper or the fermenter rim) because it does smell like fermenting.
I took it appart and made sure the gasket was in place and re sealed the fermenter and now I dont see any movement from the airlock but its clear that there is CO2 being generated.
Has anyone observed this?
If I have an air leak somewere can my beer be contaminated?
Thanks
Fernando

When active fermentation is occurring there will be a positive pressure buildup of the CO2 in your fermenter. This will keep the wild yeasties and other infection causing materials out of the fermenting beer.

Hi I just got a 60L Speidel and my beer has been fermenting for about 36 hrs. I saw the air lock move up but i dont se the release of bubbles it just slowly goes back down again. I think I may have an air leak somewhere (maybe the stopper or the fermenter rim) because it does smell like fermenting.

I took it appart and made sure the gasket was in place and re sealed the fermenter and now I dont see any movement from the airlock but its clear that there is CO2 being generated.

Has anyone observed this?

If I have an air leak somewere can my beer be contaminated?

Thanks

Fernando

This is what my speidel airlock does too. It's not as cool looking as the bubbles in a regular airlock but it's working nonetheless.

Back