metric to cups conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langsta84

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer and the kit I got is asking for 500g LDME and 250 g dextrose , I don't have a scale yet and I'm trying to convert this to cups and for some reason I can't find this answer anywhere online. can anyone help me convert this?

I'm a new brewer and the kit I got is asking for 500g LDME and 250 g dextrose , I don't have a scale yet and I'm trying to convert this to cups and for some reason I can't find this answer anywhere online. can anyone help me convert this?

You cannot convert weight to liquid volume. You can convert to lbs here Grams to Pounds conversion calculator.

In order to perform the conversion you're attempting, weight to volume, you would need to know precisely how much a specified volume of your material weighs... i.e., the specific weight. The specific gravity of the material (DME or LME) could also get you there... all-be-it through some more difficult math. You cannot otherwise simply convert a weight to a volume.

so i'm out of luck until i purchase a scale then, huh?

500 g = 1.10231 lb
250 g = 0.551155 lb

So, you just eyeball it. Make it a little on the heavy side, you have higher ABV(alcohol by volume) on the lighter side lower ABV.

Fill a sandwich baggie for the 500g and half a sandwich baggie for the 250. It won't hurt a thing to be a little off.

This is just a beginner project so not a big deal if i'm off a bit, just didn't want to be way off, my next purchase will be a scale......thx guys

You cannot convert weight to liquid volume.

...with complete accuracy (and strike out liquid). However, it's possible to come close enough.

1 cup DME (untamped) is around 5.7 oz. 5.7 oz = 161.6 g. 500/161.6 = 3.1, so three cups plus two tbsp will get you in the right ballpark.

1 cup dextrose (untamped) is around 5.3 oz. 5.3 oz = 150.3 g. 250/150.3 = 1.66, so one and two-thirds cups.

Back