Hard Lemonade Contam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
(I wasn't really sure where to post this so feel free to move if neccessary.)

I started some hard lemonade about 10 days ago, it took about 7 days for the yeast to start working well. There is kind of a sour smell coming off of it. I'm assuming this isn't normal which is why I am posting. I'm guessing it's a contamination? I tasted of some and it tastes okay but has a bad after taste. The smell is seeming to get worse. Should I chock it up as a failure or wait it out? Thanks in advance.

When in doubt, wait it out. I've never had anything sour turn out good in the end, but lemonade is sour to start with, so maybe you'll get lucky and it'll work out. My guess right now is that while you were waiting for fermentation to start (7 days is a really long time) some wild yeasts or bacteria got in there.

Did you use campden tablets?

I did use campden. I was thinking a week was a long wait. I've got it covered with a towel and rubberbands. I opened it quite regularly. I'll wait until it's completely fermented and have a taste I guess. Thanks for the advice.

Back