Fermentation Temps..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdfj2

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a Belgian Witbier and had a few questions about my fermentation temperature. I know that my ideal temp is low 70s but my house generally climbs into the upper 70's during the summer, is this going to be a big problem? If so what can I do to keep the temperature down, besides turning the AC down to 70 and having it run non stop. Thanks for the help.

The simplest solution is the "swamp cooler" approach. Place your fermentation vessel inside another container that has water in it. Cover the fermentor with a tee shirt that wicks the water up. You then place a fan nearby that blows on the wet tee shirt. This will cool your fermentor by 5-10 degrees depending on your local humidity and how fast the fan is going.

GT

Your ideal temp is actuallly the upper 60s, if you don't get it cooled down, expect a banana bomb.

Definitely get those temps down as mentioned. The swamp cooler idea works wonders. The best thing I've done since I started brewing was to get a freezer with an external temp controller, lower fermentation temps have made my beer taste so much better.

Back