Chronical Fermenter by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stompbox said:
In my opinion...... Yes. I generally only make stouts or hopped up IPAs. Maybe there are some pro autosiphoners on here but i cannot avoid sucking up dryhops or trub/yeast o save my life. Why buy a new keg that makes your beer sit on sediment when you can buy a new one with a concave in the center to get it all out in the first pint or two for the same price? Just does not make sense, it also prevents you from sucking it dry.
I guess I don't understand the design. I thought the concave prevented you from sitting the beer on the trub or is it the other way around?

I guess I don't understand the design. I thought the concave prevented you from sitting the beer on the trub or is it the other way around?

Their site says the bottom of concave/ yeast settles on the sides.

In order for yeast to settle on the sides, their has to be a high point in the middle. In other words, complete oposite design from all other corney kegs out there.

That is my interpretation, then again there are no photos or sketches of the inside it.

Not sure why posting the dimensions of a product I just purchased would bring my legitimacy into question, but here are the photos

Fermenter in chest.jpg

Fermenter:bucket1.jpg

That's neat. Do they offer free shipping on the bucket as well? btw 2011 is odd to wait to post something.

Thanks walter 12. Even if you are ligit, you are going to get called out on the fact that you have been a member since Dec, 2011 and this is your first post. A photo of the brew bucket inside your fermentation chest would be nice.

That was a polite way of saying exactly what was thinking. Though I do prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Not sure why posting the dimensions of a product I just purchased would bring my legitimacy into question, but here are the photos

Often when a first post is positive feedback on a product/ vendor in question
that post is either from said vendor or their shill. It's unfortunate that it happens because it calls into legitimacy first posts from actual people like you.

That bucket sure do look purrty! :mug:

Why did you take so long to say hello?

That was a polite way of saying exactly what was thinking. Though I do prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Often when a first post is positive feedback on a product/ vendor in question
that post is either from said vendor or their shill. It's unfortunate that it happens because it calls into legitimacy first posts from actual people like you.

That bucket sure do look purrty! :mug:

Why did you take so long to say hello?

Yep, I did not intend to offend. It is just one of those things on these forums. Thanks for the pics, it looks pretty nice. Once you have more experience with it, please let us know. Meanwhile, I'll wait until my name is pulled to buy one.

I wish I would have heard about this company before I bought my Blichmann conical. They are nice, but expensive!

Received another email about a new shipment arriving. But, as of today, I have still not been selected to buy one. That's kind of a pisser since I've been on the list for well over a month. Since they are randomly drawing names, a guy who signed up yesterday could be selected today. But I won't go and start crying about "fairness". :mug:

I don't know about fairness, but it is certainly frustrating. They made it sound like they were doing something nice for those that signed up early by giving us a chance to get some of the first units sold. The reality is that it didn't really matter. I just think it's crappy to get your customers' hopes up for nothing.

MoreBeer does a better job with the Speidels when they come in. Put your name on the list, they do a blanket email when they get in stock, first come first serve until they run out.

They had a picture in the email showing the shipment. It had like 9 boxes on a pallet. They also said the number of people on the list was 4 digits long. It might be a while..

So if the list is exactly 1000 people long and they (hypothetically) ship 12/ wk. assuming the list could not get longer- you're waiting 83.3 weeks if you're part of the last shipment.

So much for that. How could they not do FCFS on a list that long.... a raffle system is rather insulting. If I had paid already I would probably ask for my money back at this point.

Where did you get the 12 per week from? I don't recall seeing that.

That's what the hypothetically in parenthesis meant. If they ship 9 per as grathan apparently saw in a pic then it would be a whole 111 weeks. I can barely wait 2 weeks for a new fermenter let alone 2 years. :D

Also I forgot that people haven't paid yet.... thus the confirmation emails... dirp. :drunk:

Just to set the record straight for those who are not on the list. I have pasted the exact email I received from them Nov 17.

"As you can see, we got some more Brew Buckets. And yes, we got more than one pallet - this was just one that I happened to catch on the lift gate of the truck the other day. We'll be drawing some new names this week and sending out emails to those folks with instructions as to how we'll process their order (Paypal only for now).

We just wrapped up another batch of orders and shipments from last week. So YES, we are making progress, but we are getting nearly as many new people on the "back in stock" notification list every week as we are getting new freight in here. There seems to be no slowdown from brewers that want to get their hands on one of these!

Just reminder to all - we are a newish company that is all about passion for the product, the quality of the product, and giving you brewers a good deal on something with lasting value in your home brew op ! We aren't yet on the scale of an Amazon.com and we can't make thousands of Buckets appear magically (that would be cool though...!) And yes, we have literally 4 digits worth of folks that have told us they want a Bucket and signed up. Please be patient with us here and trust that we are doing what we can to make more product available ASAP. There are bunches of happy folks getting Buckets this week (their names come up in lottery last week), so next week or the week after it might be you! Hang tough and keep the faith!

For those of you new to the Back in Stock list please read this (those of you who got prior mails, you can stop reading now): Due to limitations of our ecommerce platform and the "Back in Stock" tool that manages the master list of people that have expressed interest in buying a Bucket, we just simply can't run this Brew Bucket through our normal shopping cart at Shopify. So until we can get caught up with enough inventory to cover ALL the backlogged demand for product, the ONLY way for the time being we can rationally do this is we are picking names at random off the "back in stock" list as stock is available and then processing a Paypal transaction for those folks as they get notified. If you are reading this email , you are on "the list". So don't worry about that...

This ensures that if you hear from us and we request confirmation of your Paypal account email address, that means we have a unit for you. We aren't taking thousands of peoples' payments and sitting on their money. Instead as units come available, we are drawing random names off our list and notifying people and telling them we have a unit and asking for payment via Paypal. We believe this is a fair and stand up way to do business until things "normalize" a little with inventory and demand.

Thanks again for your interest in our stuff. We have a LOT more stainless steel product ideas up our sleeves and we'll be rolling out more cool stuff in 2014 and beyond!"

is it 21 inches from the bottom of the legs or the bottom edge of the container?

The lottery system being used here seems to be a very poor choice.

I also have to kind snicker at the written jabs at their competition on their website. Their competitors actually have product to ship, so far this is just a whole bunch of vapor ware, cool as it may appear to be, but still, vapor ware.

I think the bucket and conical look great. Good for them that they are doing so well. That is pretty awesome if you think about it. Hopefully they will be able to ramp up production soon and get them out to everyone. It does seems like the lottery thing is a bit unfair. Oh well. It looks like these guys have the right idea though as far a price point goes. any one who gets a bucket, continue to post your thoughts and experiences with the product.

I agree with this. I wonder why they chose to go this route?

I'm curious on the Patent Pending rotating racking arm?
"Oh, and we decided to throw in a patent pending rotatable racking arm while we were at it!"

Patent applications are not cheap and there's no guarantee. I wonder what makes this so different and unique from their competitors? Is it intimidation?

Seems like a better option might have been a non-refundable deposit even if it's as little as $5.

Then they could process orders in the order they came and would have less dead ends to chase down. With their lottery process, how long do they wait for someone to respond before they give up and go to the next person?

My guess is that they are using a lotto system so newcomers aren't discouraged by a long wait list. This, however, completely turns me off wanting to use them. I need to be able to reasonably plan for upgrades, not be surprised by getting privilege to buy from them at the last minute.

Has anyone actually ordered and received one of these yet? They have talked about being "out of stock" - which implies they were "in stock" and people ordered and received them. They also talk about "another" shipment, which implies that "previous shipments" were received and went out.

I ask, because I posted a question in regard to the spigot (is it steel? Is it cheap/quality? Can it be taken apart for cleaning) and got no response on here.

I am becoming more curious if anyone has purchased, received and can comment on the quality of these.....

Or, are they just taking 1000 orders, sending them all at once and after all 1000 of us receive them and simultaneously realize they are not all they are cracked up to be.......

No reason to assume this - other than being cynical.

But, I am really interested in them (as I love using plastic bottling buckets for fermenters). But, I really am curious about the construction of that spigot -taking it apart, cleaning, etc.

Has anyone actually ordered and received one of these yet? They have talked about being "out of stock" - which implies they were "in stock" and people ordered and received them. They also talk about "another" shipment, which implies that "previous shipments" were received and went out.

I ask, because I posted a question in regard to the spigot (is it steel? Is it cheap/quality? Can it be taken apart for cleaning) and got no response on here.

I am becoming more curious if anyone has purchased, received and can comment on the quality of these.....

Or, are they just taking 1000 orders, sending them all at once and after all 1000 of us receive them and simultaneously realize they are not all they are cracked up to be.......

No reason to assume this - other than being cynical.

But, I am really interested in them (as I love using plastic bottling buckets for fermenters). But, I really am curious about the construction of that spigot -taking it apart, cleaning, etc.

yes, at least one guy received one and has posted photos. Go back to post #47

The 21 inch height is for the entire unit, but without an airlock on top. The spigot seems to be of high quality to me, but I am not an expert in metallurgy. I agree with a previous poster, at this price if you don't like it, you can replace it with something that suits you better. Overall I think the quality of the unit is outstanding.

I knew I was lucky to get one, but after catching up on the posts here I realize I had no idea how lucky.

I wonder why they went with a "weldless" spigot on the Brew Bucket. Threads inside a fermenter are not a good idea. You will have to disassemble, clean, sanitize, and reassemble while trying to keep all the parts sanitized. I guess you could also fill the bottom portion with boiling water to sanitize it, but that still seems like a pain to me. They should offer the Brew Bucket with a sanitary welded tri-clamp ferrule, instead.

I wonder why they went with a "weldless" spigot on the Brew Bucket. Threads inside a fermenter are not a good idea. You will have to disassemble, clean, sanitize, and reassemble while trying to keep all the parts sanitized. I guess you could also fill the bottom portion with boiling water to sanitize it, but that still seems like a pain to me. They should offer the Brew Bucket with a sanitary welded tri-clamp ferrule, instead.

I agree.....

Although, I currently use bottling buckets as fermenters and my standard practice is to assemble the spigot and put it in the bucket all while submerged in a tub of starsan .... So, it is all done under water (starsan water). Works pretty slick. I keep a good sized tub of starsan on hand an use it for about 4-6 weeks before making up a new batch. I brew inside, in a dedicated space though - so it is no big deal for me to keep a tub of it sitting around.

The 21 inch height is for the entire unit, but without an airlock on top. The spigot seems to be of high quality to me, but I am not an expert in metallurgy. I agree with a previous poster, at this price if you don't like it, you can replace it with something that suits you better. Overall I think the quality of the unit is outstanding.

I knew I was lucky to get one, but after catching up on the posts here I realize I had no idea how lucky.

can i bother you to measure the distance from leg to leg? i'm trying to figure out if it would fit in my mini fridge. the height is fine but i'm not sure about the front to back distance. thanks.

edit: i just looked on their web site and it looks like it's 13 inches wide.

can i bother you to measure the distance from leg to leg? i'm trying to figure out if it would fit in my mini fridge. the height is fine but i'm not sure about the front to back distance. thanks.

edit: i just looked on their web site and it looks like it's 13 inches wide.

I can measure it if you need me to. The listed measurement is 13 inches. It is slightly wider at the top than the bottom, so that number would apply to the top.

I can measure it if you need me to. The listed measurement is 13 inches. It is slightly wider at the top than the bottom, so that number would apply to the top.

please do if it's not too much trouble. thank you.

I just received my ss conical bucket on Friday. I have not brewed with it but here are my initial impressions.
As for people brewing in mini fridge the diameter at the bottom including ball valve and nipple is 10.5" front to back. I ferment in a vissani wine fridge and it fits with plenty of room

The racking arm is interested. It is installed with weldless fitting two silicone gaskets located one outside and one inside. The ball valve is held in place with a nut. The racking arm inserts into the ball valve and is held in place with two silicone gaskets on the racking arm. This forms a friction seal and seems to hold the racking arm in place well. Racking arm is in an odd position, you can locate the arm parallel to the floor or any degree of up but can not get the arm to point down into the conical bottom. Like I said I have not brewed with this yet and the trub level may be high enough that you would never want to angle the arm downwards. This is the only foreseeable issue. I am very excited to brew with this and will post more after. I have included some pictures. If anyone needs any other pic or specific measurements let me know.

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

I just received my ss conical bucket on Friday. I have not brewed with it but here are my initial impressions.
As for people brewing in mini fridge the diameter at the bottom including ball valve and nipple is 10.5" front to back. I ferment in a vissani wine fridge and it fits with plenty of room

The racking arm is interested. It is installed with weldless fitting two silicone gaskets located one outside and one inside. The ball valve is held in place with a nut. The racking arm inserts into the ball valve and is held in place with two silicone gaskets on the racking arm. This forms a friction seal and seems to hold the racking arm in place well. Racking arm is in an odd position, you can locate the arm parallel to the floor or any degree of up but can not get the arm to point down into the conical bottom. Like I said I have not brewed with this yet and the trub level may be high enough that you would never want to angle the arm downwards. This is the only foreseeable issue. I am very excited to brew with this and will post more after. I have included some pictures. If anyone needs any other pic or specific measurements let me know.

thank you for posting this, one of my fermenting fridges is a vissani exactly like yours so now i know i will be getting one of these brew buckets when my number comes up.

Back