Added DME to EARLY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
OK...so I brewed my first batch 17 days ago..Brewers Best Kolsch.

I just checked the SG....and it is at 1.008.......it was 1.042 OG.....which was right in the range the kit stated.

Tasted like beer.....maybe a little bitter for my taste....but that could change a little with time and after bottling and cooling....etc.

Anyway, I realized that I did do something WRONG when I was going back thru my notes and the instructions that came with the kit.

Kit tells you to add LME at start of boil of course....and NOT to add DME until 40 minutes into boil....well, I added DME at the begginning also.

So I am wondering how this has effected my beer......what was the purpose of them telling me not to add DME until 40 minutes into the boil??

Either way it sure tastes like I made beer! Next time I will be more careful!

Might end up a little darker and maybe just a hair less bitter than it would have otherwise. That's about it.

It is a bit darker than I expected.....

Thanks for quick responses......I am going to bottle this friday as long as the SG is still at 1.008......that will be 3 weeks in fermenter.

If you can do it, a kolsch can really benefit from a long run at cold temps before bottling. It's mostly for appearance though, so if you can't, it's not a big deal.

So are you suggesting I rack it to a secondary and refrigerate before bottling? How long before bottling?

It has been fermenting at 60-62 degrrees....basement is quite cool still.

Back