Painting keg tops and bottoms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
Has anyone painted their corny keg top and/or bottom rubber with epoxy spray paint? I know I could buy the "plast-dip" sort of stuff, and/or maybe vinyl paint, but I have a ton of spray epoxy paint it'd be nice to use up. But I don't know if it would bind to the rubber well.

Can't touch them currently without getting my hands black. I care less about looks than solving that problem.

Didn't I read that regular paste wax will seal that black crap in?

I've since found threads saying to use various oils, including WD-40, armor-all, and other automotive varieties. I think I may try mineral or cooking oil. I'd hate to leach some toxic crap inside while washing and rinsing.

But the rubber coating surface is partially gone on one of them, so I'll have to probably use the rubber dip stuff anyway, or else cover it with tape or some such.

I've since found threads saying to use various oils, including WD-40, armor-all, and other automotive varieties. I think I may try mineral or cooking oil. I'd hate to leach some toxic crap inside while washing and rinsing.

But the rubber coating surface is partially gone on one of them, so I'll have to probably use the rubber dip stuff anyway, or else cover it with tape or some such.
Don't paint it, that is a bad move. Get Mothers™ Back-To-Black. You can use it on any color and will be a huge help in fixing the problem.

(I tried to post a link but for some reason when clicked on the link is corrupted.)
You can copy paste it for more info:

Don't paint it, that is a bad move. Get Mothers™ Back-To-Black. You can use it on any color and will be a huge help in fixing the problem.

(I tried to post a link but for some reason when clicked on the link is corrupted.)
You can copy paste it for more info:

I'm really trying to use something a little closer to "food grade". I don't want the possibility of leaching "exterior" auto chemicals into the rinse water.

Latest posts

Back