I need a recipe for a Pirate Party.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yarhhhh, Mateys. International Talk Like a Pirate Day is fast approaching!

A friend is having a kickass party, and I want to make beer for it.

I'm thinking a nice light wheat with some kick, maybe with some lemon and cinnamon. something to pay homage to grog.

So here's the dilemma, Pirate day is September 19th, and I'm out of town until next week.

So if I brew next week (Aug 26-29th), will the beer be ready on the 19th? I'll be bottling it to take to the bash, so that's another process to think about.

All my books are at home, so I'm looking for recipes online.

I'm thinking of basing it on this one:
http://maona.net/archives/2007/10/christmas_wheat.php

But I'm probably going to use mostly light or extra light DME for most of it, and keep it simple on the spices.

So will it be ready in 3 weeks?

B

Threewater grog is half a pint of rum, a pint and a half of water, some lime, maybe a smidge of sugar. A mojito is actually vaguely similar to grog, only with light rum, and some mint added to soda water.

If you're looking at a pirate-ish brew, you have some options. You can go with smallbeer, or something quick and dirty. Otherwise, if you're shooting for Caribbean theme, you have some options. Cane sugar, molasses, rum flavors, or you could make a really good ginger beer. Wheat and barley would have to come from North America, so it'd be an import.

My suggestion is to look up a really good ginger beer recipe, brew that, and serve it with maybe a splash of pineapple juice or something tropical like that.

Ginger beers, or anything heavily spiced may not mellow out quickly enough. Looking at that recipe it has some items that would take a long time to mellow out.
I agree that for a pirate theme, rum is the closest thing you will get to.
If your set on a beer, a wheat beer with lemon rinds from 1 lemon / juice in secondary should be fine, or adding to primary after 4 days. Bottle in a week, should give you enough time to carb and be ready in bottles.
Good luck, Oh, and buddy of mine bought the Homebrew place in that story, still in operation and a good selection of ingredients.

For the brave of heart...
in a large mug/tankard add
2-shots dark rum
2-shots gin
top off with a pale ale (a not too hoppy IPA is perfect)
add a pinch of black gunpowder

"It's Captain Jacks' Undrinkable Ale. One tiny sup puts the wind in your sail. ..."

Too late for a big stout, though. I'd go with a rye pale, keep it under 5%.

Fairly related ... I finally have the ingredients now for the hallowed Coconut Rum Stout! I plan to brew this in about 3 weeks when my other 2 Fall brews are through the vessels.

I plan to use an actual coconut -- into the SECONDARY I'll dry-hop shaved coconut meat (I love that term) which will 1st be lightly toasted in the oven, and perhaps even add some of the milk in as well. It should be sterile from being naturally in the coconut, no?

I also plan to add 13oz of Cruzan Single Barrel Estate rum (my favorite sippin' rum) to the Secondary.

I'll leave the "Pirate" nomenclature to BigKahuna for originally, and inadvertantly, crafting this idea for me.

Any other random thoughts out there? I really can't wait for this one ... I've been wanting to try this now for months!!

Here's from the original thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=56508

"It's Captain Jacks' Undrinkable Ale. One tiny sup puts the wind in your sail. ..."

Too late for a big stout, though. I'd go with a rye pale, keep it under 5%.

Happy Jack's Undrinkable Ale ;)

"I once tried a thimble of Jack's demonic invention.
But for the spinning I felt that I was alright.
I woke with a chicken, two ducks, a lamb and an oxen.
By the looks on their faces I must have had a good night. I smelled...

Happy Jack's undrinkable ale
One mighty sup puts the wind in your sail
It's Happy Jack's undrinkable ale"

I love the Poxy Boggards. Know most of them personally.

TheFlatline - That sounds funny, a little too kinky for me but you got any links for this "Poxy Boggards"? I could use a laugh.

TheFlatline - That sounds funny, a little too kinky for me but you got any links for this "Poxy Boggards"? I could use a laugh.

http://www.poxyboggards.com/

That's the official site.

Some of the guys responsible for Diablo & Warcraft did Renaissance faire down here in southern california, and decided they needed an excuse to sit around and drink beer. So they formed "the drinking group with a singing problem" and 15 years later are still going strong.

Most of their songs are either about beer, whiskey, or bawdy topics. About half of their stuff is NSFW but goddamn you'll pee yourself laughing, especially if you've been drinking.

They also do one of the best versions of Mingulay I've ever heard (it's even better live, but the album version is amazing).

Back