Saflager vs Safale yeast-- what to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkstrman

Reaction score
So up until yesterday, a good majority of my brews have been with Safale yeast and I pitched a Saflager S-23 on a Peppercorn Rye Bock recipe by Nostalgia. I am just wondering what differences I should expect in the fermentation process.

So far I have noticed a large decrease in the amount of activity. Usually my Safale pitches are churning right along in a matter of 6-12 hours. The Saflager I pitched yesterday is still barely putting out 1 bubble every few seconds. I know, I know, RDWHAHB and that is what I am doing. Just wondering if anyone has any input as to their experiences with the two different strains.

Ale vs. Lager yeast. Lager yeast is usually fermented in the high 40's to mid 50's and it goes a lot slower.

As a rule, lagers need twice as much yeast as ales. I usually pitch two packets of lager yeast in a 5 gallon batch.
Also, since the fermentation is cooler, more CO2 is retained in suspension, so you will not see as much activity. Since lager yeast are bottom dwellers, you may not see much krausen, either.
Hang in there, though, and keep that hydrometer ready. At about 75% attenuation, check for diacetyl and do a D-rest if needed.

Ok, that is good info. However, the reason I am using S-23 is because I am unable to ferment at typical lager temperatures, and the S-23's temperature range is from 51-75 degrees Fahrenheit. I am able to keep it around 60-63, so that is what I am shooting for. Am I still going to need double the yeast? Is it just a slower fermentation because of the yeast strain? Or am I worrying too much about this and just need to let it do its thing?

I just want to learn some more about the process, and figured it can't hurt to ask. Thanks for checking the post, cheers!

Use Mrmalty.com calculator and check the Hybrid box for figuring your yeast needs.

I normally ferment my lagers on the lower end, say 45-48 degrees F. I just brewed a light american lager using S23 at those temps. I can attest to the fact that S23 does not like to be that cold. After 10 days the beer had only droped from an OG of 1.043 to 1.036. Lesson learned. :) I assumed the S23 would work as well at those temps as my normal lager yeast W 34/70 . I'm not complaining about it, my bad for not paying attention to the instructions on the packet. Just an FYI.

I normally ferment my lagers on the lower end, say 45-48 degrees F. I just brewed a light american lager using S23 at those temps. I can attest to the fact that S23 does not like to be that cold. After 10 days the beer had only droped from an OG of 1.043 to 1.036. Lesson learned. :) I assumed the S23 would work as well at those temps as my normal lager yeast W 34/70 . I'm not complaining about it, my bad for not paying attention to the instructions on the packet. Just an FYI.

This observation on S-23 vs. W-34/70 mirrors my own experience exactly. However, for those who want to make a lager but can't get their temps below the mid-to-high-50s, S-23 is the best option. I made a fantastic pilsner using it at about 58.

W-34/70 is a frickin' workhorse--it'll power through 45 degrees no problem.

Back