One gallon test batch need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
OK so I've never done mead before. I have sampled a bit one time but it wasn't very good and had a strong medicinal flavor. Anywho I'll be doing a test batch of 1 gallon. I'm going to try a strawberry vanilla mead. I have a few questions about the process and ingredient amounts I need to run by you guys...

So for a one gallon batch here are my ingredients...

3 pounds of wildflower honey

2 pounds of frozen strawberries

1 bottle of pure vanilla extract (using a half of a teaspoon)

1 package of yeast nutrients

I package of dry Red Star Montrachet yeast

^Does this sound right to you guys for a 1 gallon batch?^

Ok so first major question is how much water should i use to for the boil? Also should i bring the water to a boil first and then add the honey and boil for 15 minutes or add honey and then bring to a boil?

It was suggested to me to add the strawberries after all the honey is good and dissolved and boil the berries for an additional 10 minutes? Does this sound right to you guys?

And the vanilla..do I add this to the boil or should I add it to the fermenter after the cool down and pitching?

I know it's alot of questions and I think I'm even forgetting a couple :D but that will do for now. I really appreciate all the help and any advice you might have for me.

Cheers,

newguy said:
OK so I've never done mead before. I have sampled a bit one time but it wasn't very good and had a strong medicinal flavor. Anywho I'll be doing a test batch of 1 gallon. I'm going to try a strawberry vanilla mead. I have a few questions about the process and ingredient amounts I need to run by you guys...

So for a one gallon batch here are my ingredients...

3 pounds of wildflower honey

2 pounds of frozen strawberries

1 bottle of pure vanilla extract (using a half of a teaspoon)

1 package of yeast nutrients

I package of dry Red Star Montrachet yeast

^Does this sound right to you guys for a 1 gallon batch?^

Ok so first major question is how much water should i use to for the boil? Also should i bring the water to a boil first and then add the honey and boil for 15 minutes or add honey and then bring to a boil?

Do not boil the honey, it isn't necessary. Heat a quart of water till its quite hot, not boiling, take off the heat, and add the honey, stirring till dissolved.

It was suggested to me to add the strawberries after all the honey is good and dissolved and boil the berries for an additional 10 minutes? Does this sound right to you guys?

Do not heat the berries, you will set the pectins. Thaw the berries, mash them up and add them to your fermenter, then put the honey mixture in, top up with water.

And the vanilla..do I add this to the boil or should I add it to the fermenter after the cool down and pitching?

You might need more than 1 tsp for a gallon. Add it directly to your fermentor.

I know it's alot of questions and I think I'm even forgetting a couple :D but that will do for now. I really appreciate all the help and any advice you might have for me.

Cheers,
Everything else looks great. Don't forget top get the OG. When you rack it to secondary, give it a taste, you might want to add more berries and/or vanilla at that time.

Wow NurseNan you rock! Thanks so much! Yeah I'll definitely get an OG. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this tastes :)

Well the mead is going strong! It's been fermenting solid for about a week now! So Do I rack to the secondary after all the fruit falls to the bottom? Or should I just rack in a couple weeks? At this point its hard to tell where the fruit really is :) its super cloudy and I can see a bit of fruit still on the top but I couldn't tell about the rest.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance again :)

Back