Where to get tea balls to dry hop in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
The only time I dry hopped in my keg was the best aroma result yet, way better than dry hopping in secondary. The problem I had was that I think the hop bag started to get in the way of the pickup tube inside the keg as the flow of beer slowed waaaayyy down toward the end. It wasn't gassy like when your keg is killed it was just super super slow. I've heard to people putting their dry hops in a tea ball. Where do you get a tea ball big enough to hold 2 oz of hops?

Wal-Mart has them too. Only a couple of bucks. I picked one up but have yet to use it.

Your local asian grocery market probably have them. They all seem to sell a bit of restaurant equipment and those bigger tea balls are usually part of that section.

Wal-Mart has them too. Only a couple of bucks. I picked one up but have yet to use it.

Yeah, I have four of them. I try not to put more than .5oz of pellets in one ball, to get better utilization. Just use more balls for more hops. Make sure the little clip that holds it shut is tight, or you will be dealing with a lot of loose hop bits.

I need to break down and make one of those PVC/Paint strainer hop thingies.

I tried a 3" diameter one from Wal-Mart. Used it my wort boil. Dumped the hops out half-way through the boil because the center was bone dry and the ball was "stuffed" with the 1 ounce of hops. Now I use a muslin bag with sanitized marbles.

Question for you guys using balls for dry hopping in kegs. Are you all just tossing it in? Do I need to "tie" it up to something? Also, I need to dry hop 3 oz per keg, with two kegs. Should I use 3 balls each? I was thinking of putting a 3 oz of pellets into one ball, might not be a good idea after reading up on it. I am using these:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hop-ball.html

I really suggest using a fine nylon mesh bag you can find at your hb store over tea balls. I can put 2oz of leaf and a **** ton of pellets. Plus you can reuse it and soak it in sanitizer to sanitize it or boil it for a few minutes. Works much better than tea balls. I am the pround owner of a few of them with no use for them now

what is the advantage of the bags? just the volume? You can reuse hop balls, rinse them and boil them. Looks like either will work.

what is the advantage of the bags? just the volume? You can reuse hop balls, rinse them and boil them. Looks like either will work.
Bags work better in the keg for me. They hold more and I think they get better contact with the beer. I just suspend it with unflavored wax dental floss until I want to yank it out

Do the bags float? do I need to weight them down? I am going to Do an experiment, side by side. Same beer, one with 3 oz of hops in 2 balls and one with 3 oz in a bag. What bag size do you recommend?

Back