Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit112

Reaction score
I boiled my second batch the other night, but the color I got after the boil did not match the color distinguished on the scale in the catalog. It should be closer to a golden shade, but it resembled the Irish Red I just bottled. Does the color of the beer change once the yeast begins to consume the sugars from the extract, or............ The steeping and boil seemed to go well. I'm not too concerned abut color at this point, it is only my second go at it. Just as long as the beer tastes alright. Just curious, thanks

Liberty Cream Ale:
2 oz Cascade hops
WLP001
8oz Carapils
6lb gold liquid malt extract

The colour you see in the glass will be very different from what you see in the fermenter due to sheer volume and also from the light reflecting off the yeast. It probably won't be exactly what is in the catalogue but it will be close, don't worry. :)

Out of interest, at what point in the boil did you add the LME? I ask because I made my first batch at the weekend and was amazed how dark it was for an IPA. I've learned since (by reading on here) that LME caramelises during the boil, making it a darker color. And apparently one way to keep the color light is to add LME late in the boil, instead of at the start - I'll try that with my second batch this weekend.

Back