Nitro question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faub007

Reaction score
I kegged my porter about 2 weeks ago. I put it in my keg orator under 30 psi of beer gas. After a week it was still pouring flat. I gave it another week and it is still not purring the creamy head. I put co2 on it for 2 days at like 20 psi with no improvement. Any ideas? I am still new to the nitro thing. Any tips would be welcomed.

I kegged my porter about 2 weeks ago. I put it in my keg orator under 30 psi of beer gas. After a week it was still pouring flat. I gave it another week and it is still not purring the creamy head. I put co2 on it for 2 days at like 20 psi with no improvement. Any ideas? I am still new to the nitro thing. Any tips would be welcomed.

It's very difficult and slow to carb using beergas, so most people carb with CO2, and then use the beergas to serve it.

You are using a nitro faucet right? Are you sure the restrictor plate is in place? What temp was the beer at when you left it on 20psi for 2 days? Have you tried increasing the serving pressure?

I have no experience with beergas but understand it is usually around a 3:1 ratio nitrogen to CO2. Also read something about carbonating with CO2 the preferred method and then running beergas for the pours. I believe, but am probably wrong; the nitrogen does not mix well with beer but the high pressure used to push the beer across the plates in a stout tap is what gives the creamy head.

I have no experience with this, just what I remember from reading. I'm more than likely wrong. Did I mention that?

Dan is on the money, nitrogen will not dissolve into beer. Carb with Co2 then put the beer gas to it.

I found that if I carb with CO2 at about 5-8lbs (my fridge is at 45 degrees) for about a week or two and then hook up the beergas set at 30-35 lbs. I get a great pour using that method.

You are using a stout faucet, right?

Yes sir I am. My first keg was already carbed so I have not had to solve doing an uncarbed one. The first one was too foamy so I have been taking it easy this time around. Your pressures are very helpful. Thanks for posting them!

Back