screen or false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon

Reaction score
Setting up my all grain system. I will be using a cooler and two keggles. I got the cooler conversion kit from bargain fittings with a screen for the mash tun and plan on getting valves from there for the keggles. What are your suggestions for my boil pot? Would a screen be sufficient or should I go for a false bottom? I get most of my hops in pellet form if that helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

To my knowledge most people don't use false bottoms for the boil kettles. The ultimate goal is to have some sort of dip tube or fitting that will leave the whirlpool particulates in an intact cone and draw fresh wort from the outside edge of the mound of hops, protein coagulants etc...If your going to do anything i would go with a screen but even that i find unnecessary.

Whether you go with a screen or false bottom you should also consider a hop bag. I highly recommend it. I totally sucks when the end of your brew day is dealt a blow with clogged up screens. I went from a metal scrunchy at the end of the pickup tube, to a bozooka T to a 4 foot section of SS braid. They all clog without a hop bag.

Speaking for myself (and only myself) I use none of what's suggested above. Heck, I don't even whirlpool anymore. I just transfer to my fermenting buckets and place them in the fermenting chests. When it's done I then Crash them at 35 degrees and add gelatine. This gets me great looking beer.

Back