All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
I'd like to make the switch to all-grain in order to have more room to experiment, but I lack the space and conjugal good will. As such, I've been considering some alternatives.

Looking at all-grain brewing, I'm having trouble seeing the categorical difference between grain-steeping and mashing. Is there a way to make a 2 or 3 gallon batch (perfect for experimentin') on the stove-top using cheesecloth in lieu of a lautering tun?

-Jack

I don't know about cheesecloth- that's way too flimsy and thin. But you can certainly do it with a big paint straining bag or a grain bag. They sell really nice mesh large grain bags (meant for wine making) that would work.

See Deathbrewer's tutorial on brewing on the stovetop. It's the same procedure, but you'd make a smaller batch. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

I saw this link and was thinking... Hooper, can I use an uncovered 10 gallon igloo with a 5 gal nylon paint sceen for my first ag?

I mean it should work, no?

Sure- as long as your cooler is preheated by hot water (not boiling-it'll warp your cooler!) so that the heat stays in. You may want to cover it with a sleeping bag to insulate it if you don't have a cover. My preheated 10 gallon Igloo (with the cover on) holds the temperature within a degree or two for an hour easily.

Looking at all-grain brewing, I'm having trouble seeing the categorical difference between grain-steeping and mashing.

Steeping uses specialty grains that are mostly preconverted - basically you're just rinsing the flavors, colors and some sugars from the grain. Base malts cannot be steeped, which is why steeping recipes use malt extract for the fermentable sugars.

Mashing uses the enzymes that exist in base grains to convert the starches into sugars, in a more controlled environment. The water/grain ratio is more important, as is having a controlled mash temperature for the duration of the mash. You get a much more significant fermentable sugar contribution which can make up all or a portion of your wort.

I don't really have the room or equipment to go all-grain either but I use a 2 gallon cooler and a large grain bag to do partial mash recipes up to 5 pounds, sparging in my brew kettle. It works well enough that I'm going to try doing a 2.5 gallon AG batch this weekend :rockin:

Latest posts

Back