History of American Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I'm reading Journal Of A Trapper, which was written in the early 1800's, and in it he mentions being somewhere near what will become Yellowstone National Park and seeing lots of "hops which grow in great abundance and of a superior quality. On thousands of acres along the small branches the trees and shrubbery are completely entangled in the vines."

I thought American hops were more of a north west coast occurrence. Where all are/were they naturally growing in America? How about north or south of us?

I've read that European hops were first cultivated in America around 1630, starting along the northern Atlantic coast and moving westward with migration. Upstate New York was the major producer in the 1850s, but by the early 1900s northwestern growers - with the advantage of acreage and mechanical pickers - took over the production leadership.

So there was a couple of hundred years of human migration strewing hops from coast to coast...

Cheers!

Yes, hops were a big crop from NY to Virginia through the 19th century until about 1920 when problems with mildew (and that pesky thing called Prohibition) wiped out entire farms.

But this trapper was in uncivilized territory.

I tried Googling the history of it and couldn't get a conclusive answer. In some things it appears as though there was wild hops, and in others it talked about hops being brought over, as you mentioned, and cultivated along the eastern coast.

New Zealand is known for some hops too. Is that native or not? Brought by the British?

From what I had found it seemed to say that hops were only native around Germany, and that the English hops were brought there.

Osborne Russell wrote that piece between 1834 and 1843. In the section you refer to he notes Crow and Blackfoot tribes in the area. Also, by 1836 the Oregon Trail was in use and it followed the Missouri on the way up to and through Wyoming, which I believe was part of Russell's route as well.

So mankind wasn't exactly unknown in the area.

History claims hops originated in China. I don't know if any hop strains were ever propagated through some natural means, but everything I've read indicates European strains were the root stock for American hop growers...

Cheers!

I know that cluster is a cross between an English variety and a wild American variety.They were cultivated in Massachusetts until the mid 1800's until they were wiped out by downey mildew.

But it doesn't sound as though it's being farmed. It sounds wild.

"...but everything I've read indicates European strains were the root stock for American hop growers..."

And this is what I often found when I Googled the American history of... Yet it appears from his journal that it was growing thick in a wild area. It certainly wasn't being farmed.

"I know that cluster is a cross between an English variety and a wild American variety."

Do you have any idea as to what the American variety may have been? Or any truly American variety is/was?

This journal article may help: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685279

Abstract

We have analysed wild hops collected widely from the Northern Hemisphere, assessing the genetic diversity and the geographical distribution of haplotypes, to investigate the evolution and phylogeny of hops, Humulus lupulus. The haplotypes were characterized by the nuclear ribosomal DNA spacer region (length and DNA sequence) and chloroplast DNA noncoding regions (DNA sequences). The results indicated that primary divergence into European (including Caucasus and Altai hops), and Asian-North American types, was 1.05+/-0.28 to 1.27+/-0.30 million years ago. Although an Eastern boundary for European nuclear haplotype distribution was unclear due to the ambiguous origin of Northern Chinese samples, the European hop group showed a wide geographical distribution across Eurasia from the Altai region to Portugal. The low genetic variation in this group suggested rapid and recent expansion. The North American hop group showed high diversity, and is considered to include hops that have migrated from Asia. Japanese and Chinese hops were identified as genetically distinct. This study has shown that wild hops in each growing region are genetically differentiated with considerable genetic diversity. It gives insights into the evolution and domestication of hops that are discussed.

I might be able to access the full article, PM me if interested.

Looks like North American wild hops came via the Bering land bridge.

Also, one of the reasons root-stock is cultivated is to assure the same stock (eliminate genetic diversity), not because there are no hop seeds.

Back