Better Stainless Hop Spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstStateBrewer

Reaction score
I started with a 2qt Stainless Dog Pail.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...1csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525349998

2012-04-03_20-24-31_42-Small.jpg

I cut off the bottom with an angle grinder.

2012-04-03_19-02-15_646-Small.jpg

Cut slits to bend tabs for holding the clamp in place.

2012-04-03_19-35-50_275-Small.jpg

Attached Stainless Steel Eye Bolts to form the legs of the spider!
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Sta...m=Product Search&utm_campaign=Google Products

2012-04-03_21-06-53_511-Small.jpg

Use a 6" stainless worm clamp to secure a Nylon Paint Strainer Bag and I'm done!

Not the cheapest build, but it's solid as a rock!

I like it, my PVC one is starting to warp and the worm clamp keeps coming loose during the boil. Would be nice to upgrade to something better.

My wife used to use the dog pail for our dogs, but she stopped using it years ago. When I spied it recently, the shiny stainless steel got my mind working and the concept of using it for a hop spider was born! My wife said, take it! :mug:

hop_chute_front.jpg

I too got tired of the plastic spider so I ended up buying some cheese molds from Ulmers Dairy Supply (in Wisky) and welded then together with a cap.

Results to date are fantastic. Originally designed for whole hops, I also use if for pellets. Sometimes I put the strainer bag inside the chute, sometimes not. Amazingly, the holes trap the bulk of the hop matter even without the nylon.

Combined with the Brewers Hardware hop strainer there's very little that ever gets to the fermentor. Cleanup is a breeze without the strainer bag.

Brew On!

Am I the only one surprised that Blichmann has not released a product like this. Sure they had the hop blocker but that thing is mediocre at best. HBT is such a great source for keep it simple stuff like this. Cheers

Back