Pomegranate-Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I put together a 2.5 gallon test batch this evening, using 2 gallons of apple juice and 1/2 gallon of pomegranate juice. Pectic enzyme and Nottingham yeast - here's hoping it turns out better than the Great Ginger Cider Experiment of 2010

:mug:

You might not get much pomegranate flavor from that, but probably noticeable color and a slight aftertaste. You can try backsweetening or secondary fermentation with pomegranate juice if you want more flavor, let us know how it goes!

I will let you know how it turns out. Its a deep red and the Nottingham is doing its business, at about 66* F. This will be a semi-dry sparkling cider, and I'll aim for a FG of 1.012 or so. I'll bottle condition and then pasteurize, as I do for draft-style cider.

This turned out really well, although I changed course from our original intention. I let it ferment out dry, stabilized it and backsweetened a little with pomegranate juice. Its light, dry, and still - the tartness in the background provides a nice structure to the cider, so that its not too flabby.

Because this is a wine-like cider, we bottled in clear wine bottles to show off the attractive color and corked. First time using a corker, used a two-handled version I bought at my lhbs for less than $20 and it was exceptionally easy.

I've got more photos and info about this pleasant little cider at http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Pomegranate-Apple-Cider.html

Pomegranate_cider_in_the_glass.jpg

Back