Belgian White Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb

Reaction score
I've been making mead for a few months now and I am interested in making whats called a braggot. Wich is essentially more of a beer brewing process them Mead or Wine making. Here is the recipe I am trying to make but all this recipe shows is ingredients. As far as temperatures and times to boil and add ingredients to the wart I'm lost. Could someone tell me how they would apply this recipe?

http://hopville.com/recipe/647547/specialty-beer-recipes/belgian-white-braggot

So..
% lbs oz ingredient
55% 5 0 Wheat Liquid Extract
22% 2 0 Briess GOLD LME (liquid malt extract, similar to above)
17% 1.5 White Wheat Malt (grain)
6% .5 American Two-row Pale (grain)
0% 0 ¼ Cara-Pils/Dextrine (grain or powder)
0% 0 ⅛ Cara-Pils/Dextrine (not sure why they put this in, its the same as above)

boil 10 min 0.4 liquid ozs Bentonite
boil 5 min 4 ounces Coriander Seed
boil 10 min 0.1 liquid ozs Whirlfloc Tablet (or irish moss 1/2tsp)
boil 5 min 1 ounces Orange Zest
boil 5 min 0.5 ounces Lemon Zest
boil 5 min 0.5 ounces Lime Zest
secondary 0 min 3 ounces Lime Juice
secondary 0 min 3 ounces Lemon Juice
secondary 0 min 3 pounds Honey, Orange Blossum
secondary 0 min 0.1 liquid ozs Yeast Nutrient (WYeast)

You will crack the grains and wheat at your homebrew store, or order it pre-crushed online. If you get grains uncrushed, you can get a barley mill to crush it or use a rolling pin for small amounts. Once cracked grains are in your hand, you could easily do a brew in a bag process (BIAB). You'll need an accurate thermometer for this. Be careful not to overshoot your target temps! I would just go 150F for this recipe and these grains. You'll mash wish 2.5Q water. If brewing in a bag, put the crushed grains in the bag, a painters straining bag works great, and heat up the 2.5Q water+grains up to 150F and remove from heat/cover the pot. Wrapping with a blanket isn't a terrible idea as long as you're not in danger of setting your kitchen on fire :). Monitor the temp and keep it +/- 3 degrees F from 150'ish. Keep it for an hour like this. After an hour, pick up the bag of soaked grains and allow it to drain into the pot. After it is done draining, carefully rinse the grains with more water. Hot water or cold water both can work in this case. You can keep rinsing the grains until you reach your boil volume, or earlier if you want. You might only need to rinse with a gallon of water or a little more.

Once you have that partial-mash step done and some wort in a pot, add more water until you have your entire pre-boil volume (usually 6-6.5G for a 5G batch full boil). If your pot isn't large enough for 5 or 6 gallons, fill it with water until it reaches a level where you'll be able to control its boil without boiling it over. Start the burner and heat it up. Once it starts boiling, be careful about boilovers whenever adding ingredients- it will foam up a lot! At the beginning of the boil, add your extract powders/syrup and set a timer for 60 minutes and your 1oz Willamette (7.1% AA). Stir it up good so all the extract dissolves completely.

At 10 minutes remaining in the boil (50 minutes have elapsed), add your 1oz Cascade 5.5% AA hops, the .4oz bentonite and whirlfloc or irish moss (1/2tsp) for clarity. Watch for a boilover and adjust the heat as needed. At 5 minutes remaining, Add 4 ounces of Coriander Seed and 0.5 ounces of Lemon Zest and 0.5 ounces of Lime Zest and 1 ounces of Orange Zest.

Cool it down after the timer is up, and once it is below 80F, aerate it well. Pour it into your sanitized fermenter and pitch the yeast.

That recipe is an extract recipe with steeping grains. Place the 2-row, cara pils, and the Wheat malt in a muslin bag. Steep that in approximately 2.5 gallons of 154 degree water for 30 minutes. Remove the bag and allow it to drain into the boil pot, then discard the bag of grains. Bring the pot to a boil and add the LME. The boil times for the rest of the ingredients is on the recipe. Where it says 0 minutes, add it at the end of the boil when you turn the heat off. 5 minutes is simply added at the last 5 minutes. 60 minutes means its added at the beginning of the boil. Cool, top off the wort to 5 gallons with water (preferably cooled and sanitized water) then pitch the yeast when ithe wort is at roughly 65-70 degrees.

EDIT: Also that recipe calls for the use of a secondary. After 7-10 days, transfer the beer to a secondary vessel and add the remaining ingredients. Then after a week, you can keg or bottle as usual.

Thanks man. Very helpful thanks alot. Oh wow good article looks like to make it truely a braggot I'm going to have to up the honey. I don't think I have the heart to remove the hops from it though, I love hops

It looks to me like he put the honey in the wrong area. It should be listed in the fermentables not misc and it is going to make the ABV MUCH higher than the listed 6%.

newb said:
Edited for content- out of bounds, against our terms of service and against our forum rules. Yooper

Wow, while I agree that this was probably a bad attempt at a joke, your reply was worse than the joke. You will find in life that it is sometimes be tter to ignore some things tyan to blow them up into bigger things. My guess is that you need to learn a bit about how to interact with others on forums...or how not to.

In the meantime, chill out. No one will want to help you if you run around calling people names. I guarantee your last report card said "does not work and play well with others"

Back