Palisades.... what to do with them??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpreuss

Reaction score
Ok so I split a pound of Palisades with one of the brew club guys. The problem is I don't know what to make with them. Hops directs says good in all English ales, US Pale Ales and Brown ales. Has anyone brewed with this hop and have an opinion? I was almost thinking about making a American IPA bittered with Centennials and finished with Palisades but I'm not sure.I don't know. I have also read that maybe they would best be blended with another hop like cascade - which could work, I have lots of those as well. Thoughts???

I've never used them, but I see that the recipe for Dog Fish Head 60 in the BYO 250 Clone Recipes magazine uses them. Continuous hopping with first Warrior, then Simcoe, then Palisade (25 minute to flameout) and also as a whirlpool addition. Dry hop with Amarillo, Simcoe, and Glacier. Uses Ringwood Ale or "other English ale yeast". Sure a lot different from Yooper's recipe! (which I haven't tried yet, but intend to soon)

I just bottled 2 takes on a Palisade smash. Pretty straightforward extract grain bill, but I hopbursted 8oz of whole leaf. I split the batch in two, and pitched an american ale yeast in one and a belgian golden ale in the second.

The golden ale yeast tasted amazing. I drank the entire glass of uncarbed beer I had at the bottom of the bucket. The california was ok, I think it definitely needed conditioning. Very floral, and VERY unique aroma.

So after some conditioning, I'll say I wouldn't brew another super hoppy single hop beer with palisade. Either I messed up my process, or palisades make a VERY grassy/weedy (not the good weed) flavor when used solo. It's over the top.

Back