Newbie fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalokid356

Reaction score
Hi, new here have a question about when I should rack to my keg. I brewing a brewhouse all grain pale ale, sg was 1.050 when it started its been about 7 days in primary. Now sg is 1.010 I think it's done but not sure its only been a week. So do I rack to my corny and force carb or leave it in the carboy for another seven days? The kit says 3 days intense fermentation and another 10 to 14 days berfore bottle, Im kegging and new so not sure what to do.

Leave it alone for at least another week, preferably another 2 weeks. Althought the majority of fermentation is done, the yeast are fastidious creatures and will clean up after themselves.... improving the flavor of the beer.

It is always better to wait. As stated before it will only clean it up. But if you cant wait, it is probably done fermenting. You can bottle.

Ok so when I get the same sg a couple days in a row I should cold crash the carboy a couple days then keg it? Or should I wait more time before I cold crash it?

Cold crashing causes the yeast to settle out and will stop the beer from conditioning. Be patient. Give it a good 3 weeks before you prepare it for consumption. In the meantime, catch up on How to Brew. The price is unbeatable and you'll know more about making beer by the time you're done than anyone you'll ever meet. except of course for a fellow brewer, whatever the scale they work with.

It's still in primary, I have a pilsner on tap already that I brewed a couple weeks a go and it tasted green when I first kegged it. So i'm gonna wait at least until this sunday maybee longer. I'll keep checking sg and taking a sip out or the test tube to see when it taste good.

Ok so when I get the same sg a couple days in a row I should cold crash the carboy a couple days then keg it? Or should I wait more time before I cold crash it?

I would let the badboy sit no less than three weeks, as stated previously..the yeast will clean up after themselves.

I taste my beer(shot glass amounts) at 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks just to taste the stages it goes through and make a log. Believe me... yeah it taste like beer at 1 week but its taste like better beer at 3 weeks.:)

Latest posts

Back