AHS kit recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So got my toasted coconut porter kit today from Austin homebrew supply and was looking at the ingredients and recipe and all my crushed grains are in one big bag which is fine. However the recipe has flaked oats in it and to says to steep the grain bag at 155 for 25 min. To my understanding though flaked oats must be mini mashed in order to be useable, right? Soy question is do I follow the recipe and steep for the 25min., or do I just try to take out all the flaked oats I can and do a mini mash with those first and then add my steeping grains??

Follow the directions, there's probably some 2-row in the bag and 25 minutes at 155F is a mash.

Mashing - steeping, same process, just different amounts of grain and times. I suggest steeping in one pot, heat water in a different brew kettle then 'sparge' by dunking the steeped grain in brew kettle in and out to 'wash' it. Then add steep water to the BK and go.

Mashing - steeping, same process, just different amounts of grain and times. I suggest steeping in one pot, heat water in a different brew kettle then 'sparge' by dunking the steeped grain in brew kettle in and out to 'wash' it. Then add steep water to the BK and go.

Thanks for the clarification. That helps a ton. I don't have a second burner in the garage so can I just take a small pot and dip it in the bk and pour that over those grains? Also it says to steep in 2 1/2 gallons. Can I just steep in my full 6 gallons or is there an issue doing this.

Thanks for the clarification. That helps a ton. I don't have a second burner in the garage so can I just take a small pot and dip it in the bk and pour that over those grains? Also it says to steep in 2 1/2 gallons. Can I just steep in my full 6 gallons or is there an issue doing this.

Do you have a tea kettle? I just heat a tea kettle in the kitchen, check the temp, and then carry it to the garage and slowly pour it over the grains sitting on a colander, sitting over the brewpot.

Eric

Cool will do that, any advice on if it matter what volume of water you steep in?

I start steeping in the kitchen with the recommended amount. Once the steeping is done I carry that pot to the garage where my BK is already heating the rest of the water. When it reaches temp. I dunk the grain bag in and slosh it up and down to 'sparge', then the grain goes to the trash or the yard and the steep water goes in the BK. You can think of a lot of ways to do it, make it easy on yourself.

At least 1.25 qts/lb so that all the grain gets wet, stir a little to make sure there are no clumps. Try to stay near the volumes in directions that came with the kit. I've brewed a couple of dozen AHS kits and have nearly always had great beer. Twice I let WL - 830 ferment at too high a temp and made dry cough medicine instead of beer. But that wasn't the recipes fault, I don't think.

Back