Whole Pig - Lets see it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasDroughtBrewery

Reaction score
I have done three whole pigs now, all very different. 1 in the military I cut and grilled direct, 2 I smoked and stuffed with sausage and chicken to protect the loins smoked low and slow and brined for two days. 3 straight from the butcher to the smoker with only dry seasoning and injections.

Lets see your pigs and techniques...need ideas for the 4th pig.

11351421_10153299401568911_1956366443331545877_n.jpg

179888_10150103622833911_8360975_n.jpg

pig.jpg

How did they all turn out? I'd love to roast a whole hog but don't even know where to start...
-pg

I would say my third one was easily the best... but for starters is finding a local butcher that will order one for you. Usually they come in frozen and it takes about a week to thaw out..let them thaw it for you at the butcher shop.

Actually before calling the shop try and figure out how much space you have on your cooker...so you know what size to order.

Next step is buying a cooler large enough to hold it and keep it cold...assuming you don't cook it right after bringing it home. The first one I brined for two days at my house in the cooler.

You will also need to decided a few things do you want to stuff the pig with whole chicken and sausage and sew him back up so you protect the loins in the cooking process or do you want to cut him flat and roast/smoke it. Ive done it both ways I personally like cutting him flat and smoking it.

So you will need a hatchet or electric buthcher knife to cut through the breast bone to open him open..and I also cut off the hooves around I guess like a wrist joint.

Ok this post is getting lengthy so let me skip all the ifs and buts and just tell you how I did the third pig which I liked the most.

Once I got him home and opened up I got a piece of wood from the hardware store to put him on in the kitchen. I lined it with foil to keep things clean. I rinsed him off any excess blood put an apple in his mouth and all of that jazz. (its important to note that you don't want the skin wet...or seasoned on the outside leave that alone) I a thin layer of mustard on the inside of this meat so that my dry rub would stick and put him in my cooler over night. I then smoked him at 225 keeping the coals nice and even so I didn't get any hot spots until he was done. Take him off by transferring the cooking rack to the wood piece I bought changing the foil wrap again to keep things clean. Then once cooled I pulled him off the rack straight onto the wood and shredded his ass up and we all ate. I usually buy around 30-35lbs and it feeds around 15 people pretty easy. (adults)

Thats a quick overview but if you have specific questions let me know. It was def on my bucket list to cook a whole pig...now its become an annual event b/c I enjoyed it so much. The wow factor of your guests is worth every cent and it does cost a few cents LOL.

As you can see from the first pig I just tried plastic wrap....the board was much easier than dealing with plastic. Also the third picture with the pig cooked and has a B on it...that was the one stuffed with 2 whole chickens and a few links of sausage. You have to find the right type of metal wire to sow him up though you can't just use anything.

We did 1 years and years ago in a pit wrapped in banana leaves. It was fun. I'm sorry to say though I wasn't a big fan of it that way. I would MUCH rather try it smoked!

How do you go about smoking them?

Cheers
Jay

I don't think I'd be interested in cooking a whole hog, but I wish I knew someone who did. I'm in.

Back