Carbing up bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobrewer

Reaction score
I have 2 gal of beer that I primed and bottled. They have been sitting for 4 days @ 60-65 degrees, then I realized they probably should be warmer, so they have been @ about 70 ever since. When should they be ok to drink? Are there any methods to improving flavor at this point (besides waiting a long time)? Would refrigeration change flavor?

Let them sit for about 3 weeks to get fully carbed. Not really anything you can do to change the flavor now except give it time. Don't refrigerate them until they're carbed or your yeast will go dormant

Give them atleast 2 closer to 3 weeks to carb.

Cooling just slows the yeast, great idea if you think you over primed.

I don't think anything will change the flavor except waiting at this time. Although there are threads about putting hops in the glass being posted.

Are there any methods to improving flavor at this point (besides waiting a long time)?

You could skunk the hell out of it by shaking it up violently and then setting it in a sunlit window for a week or two:cross:

If this is one of your first batches, go ahead and pop one and taste it. It will still be undercarbed and a little 'green' tasting. It won't hurt and it will allow you to learn about how your beer matures over the course of the 3-4 weeks it will take to get fully carbed and matured enough for drinking.

I usually pop one between 1-2 weeks and then 1 per week after that until the beer tastes right.

Refrigerate them after they are fully primed.

weetodd said:
Refrigerate them after they are fully primed.

Is there any harm in just refrigerating them before drinking? I don't really have the fridge room for a full batch.

Nope just keep them in the basement till you want to drink 'em. Do chill them about 24 hours in advance of drinking, however, as this will allow the CO2 in the headspace to dissolve back into the beer allowing the beer to be bubbly to the last drop instead of tasting a little flat halfway through the glass.

Agreed. I usually move six or so at a time to the fridge and store the rest in my basement til ready.

Back