Heather Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whattawort

Reaction score
Anyone used heather tips in a beer in place of hops? I'm wanting to try my hand at a version of a pictish ale. Of course, there are no real recipes out there beyond approximate speculation, but I figure it was about time I give it a try. The consensus that I'm seeing says that heather tips should be used sparingly, but there's not much beyond that. Define sparingly. Also, I've been toying with using some peated malt. How much is too much? I'm not new to being inventive or creative with recipes, but I've never used either one of these ingredients. This would be for a 5.5gal batch.

I'll have to dig a little deeper I suppose to find out what exactly the Pictish ale tasted like. I know it's earthy, but I guess I need to find out if the heather is supposed to be a dominate flavor or a balancing agent. 8oz seems like overkill to me. Wish I had a friggin LHB so I could get a sample of the peated malt and heather and find out more for myself. This brew is going to be more out of curiosity than anything else. I've been building a few recipes for my historical beer series that I want to do and this one is tripping me up a bit since I'm unfamiliar with the ingredients. Glad I found a good deal on Golden Promise though. I have hard water so with the combination of that and golden promise, it's pretty easy to get an approximation of a Scottish beer which will be the foundation of the beer....kinda.

I recently went to a Chili/Beer Comp (not a pairing) and had an English Bitter, the gentleman used hops as you normally would in an English Pale ale, but dry 'hopped' with heather tips. I think he placed 2nd in the comp. The beer was my favorite of the night. I think he said the OG was in the 1.050 neighborhood.

Latest posts

Back