Lager Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8brew

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew a Bitburger Clone. Did 2 batches last spring - extract; but this round will be all grain. I did not do a starter, usually only on ales.

My question, should anyone decide to answer is if I should do the starter at lagering temp? or room temp. My gut says at lagering temp.

You can do either. If you do make your starter at room temp it is essential that you cold crash the starter and then decant the liquid. I found it easier to rig up my fermentation chamber so that I can run my stir plate at lagering temps. But, either way will work.

I did one recently at room temps, as said if you do then be sure you pour off the spent wort, otherwise you'll potentially carry over a load of spicey cloviness into the final beer.

Did the starter at room temp; ended up pouring off entire wort/yeast mixture in and starting lagering at ~45f for 2 weeks - so far so good and taste is great (i.e., no cloviness) Transfer to secondary tonight for another 3 weeks or so.

Latest posts

Back