Bottling cider in clear bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhelderman

Reaction score
So I've got folks saving bottles for me to use for cider. I know clear bottles aren't the best choice because of degradation due to light exposure. But I keep all my filled cider bottles in a cardboard box in a corner in the basement. They never see light til they're opened or thrown in the fridge to chill. Would it be ok to use clear bottles for cider?

I don't do much cider, but I thought light exposure was only a problem for beer. The light interacts with compounds from the hops and skunks the beer. As long as the cider isn't hopped I would think it's fine. I mean, I wouldn't leave them out in the sun all day or anything though.

I will probably get flamed for this but here it goes anyways...

Yes, the traditional brown bottles are by far the best. I have used clear and green bottles for years and not had the first problem. Only takes a little care. I dont store them around fluorescent lights I keep sun exposure to a minimum. Normally, I use my green and clear bottles for the friends that love the brew but have a habit of not returning my bottles.

I'm by far no beer aficionado, I drink to support my brewing habit. But because I am blessed with a closet in my house that has no other sole purpose than to store what little bottling I do (kegging is the way to go), I can not for the life of me tell you what color bottle that beer your just poured me came from.

I actually enjoy Corona beer so I have been using those. They cap easily and also show off the color of each cider i have made. I have had no issues using them at all thus far.

I don't do much cider, but I thought light exposure was only a problem for beer. The light interacts with compounds from the hops and skunks the beer. As long as the cider isn't hopped I would think it's fine. I mean, I wouldn't leave them out in the sun all day or anything though.

Cider doesn't skunk, but it does get light struck, ruining the cider if exposed to strong light. It's easy to prevent- cover a carboy with a blanket, and store clear bottles in a dark place.

Cider doesn't skunk, but it does get light struck, ruining the cider if exposed to strong light. It's easy to prevent- cover a carboy with a blanket, and store clear bottles in a dark place.

Oh cool, I didn't know that. Maybe I'll put a towel over the cider I have going in the basement then. Thanks!

Back